Inquiry Randy Betz, rbetz-Tortstork Tortoise Eggs - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #11
rbetz-Tortstork
Actually, I could use all your help. I’m launching a new website, and I think it would be best to have a detailed FAQ section. Please respond back with some of your questions about tortstork and how it works. I will make sure to include them on the FAQ page. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #12
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbetz-Tortstork View Post
Nick, sorry, this is a long exhausting thread split into three different links, all sort of related. There is more to it then just this thread. I should have referenced the other threads when I said those things.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=651251
When you posted your ad, there were some questions. If you check out the link above, the very first post was me discussing how this is different from some well known parrot egg scams.
Others also had questions about the process and safety of shipping, the cost as compared to buying a hatchling, and why there was no guarantee. So I offered this company an opportunity to showcase their product by asking questions and asking for references.
The results were disheartening. Instead of the seller bringing answers here, I was told to search elsewhere. Words like 'hater' started to appear even though I had said multiple times how many of my questions were fueled by an interest in the process and of course answers allowing prospective buyers to make truly informed decisions.
To me, the way to create trust in a product is to be transparent when answering questions, and providing reasonable requests of information.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
rbetz-Tortstork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
When you posted your ad, there were some questions. If you check out the link above, the very first post was me discussing how this is different from some well known parrot egg scams.
Others also had questions about the process and safety of shipping, the cost as compared to buying a hatchling, and why there was no guarantee. So I offered this company an opportunity to showcase their product by asking questions and asking for references.
The results were disheartening. Instead of the seller bringing answers here, I was told to search elsewhere. Words like 'hater' started to appear even though I had said multiple times how many of my questions were fueled by an interest in the process and of course answers allowing prospective buyers to make truly informed decisions.
To me, the way to create trust in a product is to be transparent when answering questions, and providing reasonable requests of information.

You’re right, I should have answered your questions. I’m always so paranoid that other larger producing breeders are going to steal my process. Especially bc this is such a public classifieds. So if I explain my process to the public, then it’s exposed. Tortstork is an LLC, but I’m still waiting on some patents. The process has been submitted so it’s oeotected, but there are so many high producing breeders that could steal this idea and literally burry my business bc I don’t have that many adults to pump out a lot of eggs.
What I can tell you is that I pack the eggs in white bread. It holds moisture and protects the egg from moving. I then pack that into newspaper and into a box. Within the box I supply a bag of vermiculite. When the egg arrives, you unpack the egg from the bread and container, place the vermiculite into the plastic container the egg cane in, and place the egg in the vermiculite. Then that gets put into your incubator.
I have had two eggs go bad, it was with the same person and it was early on. The first egg never chalked. The second egg arrived cracked. I think the egg was packed too tightly into a too small container. I have recently switched containers.
I also tried shipping a 100 percent fertilized egg that was on day 65. It was to see if maybe I could ship eggs that were guaranteed to hatch. The egg cracked during shipping and the hatchling died. There is a thread about this on tortoise forum.
I have shipped a handful of eggs since then, they have all arrived safe and hatched. I have also had some well known breeder friends, who out of respect, I won’t name, try this process. Both Recieving eggs that went on to hatch, as well as having them ship eggs to me, which are currently in the incubator, and are fertile. There are a few people who I have contacted to post here to explain their experience. I will also have a testimonial section on my new website from my customers. I have kept in close contact with the lady whose eggs failed. She currently has her third egg, which arrived safe and is in the incubator. I have also been in close contact with the gentleman who received the fertile egg, he also has another egg (not one that is days away from hatching), in his incubator. This is a passion for me. This is not a money making business. I’m sensitive to my idea and clearly defensive too (sorry Lucille). I think this whole thing got blown out of proportion due to my emotions. If I haven’t answered any questions, please let me know.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
NortheastReptiles
I never heard of Fauna before Tortstork asked me about it. He simply asked if i was a member to which i replied no. He said i should join for the community since i am
A soon to be new tortoise owner. He said there are still people on here that are skeptical. I offered to post my experience. I was simply honest. No commercials here. Can you hear me now? Good...

Old 03-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #15
Magic Merlin
Hey Robert, not trying to sound negative but "patents" are for million dollar products and ideas because you will fork out millions to lawyers to enforce that patent if anyone copies your idea and you want to stop them. The best way to compete against a larger competitor is to offer a better and healthier animal at a fair price with OUTSTANDING customer service. The reptile community is relatively small and word of mouth gets around very quickly......good and bad.......their are many more legends that are small breeders than their are that are giants.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
rbetz-Tortstork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Merlin View Post
Hey Robert, not trying to sound negative but "patents" are for million dollar products and ideas because you will fork out millions to lawyers to enforce that patent if anyone copies your idea and you want to stop them. The best way to compete against a larger competitor is to offer a better and healthier animal at a fair price with OUTSTANDING customer service. The reptile community is relatively small and word of mouth gets around very quickly......good and bad.......their are many more legends that are small breeders than their are that are giants.
My name is Randy. Randy Betz. I developed a device that will show the customer whether the box was flipped upside down during shipping. I have lawyers and patent lawyers. I also have some other patents completely unrelated to tortoises. You don’t have to have a million dollar company to own patents. You’re barking up the wrong tree here. This is a hobby for me. I’ve been selling tortoises for over 30 years. I have never sold a tortoise that wasn’t healthy. The egg thing has been in the works for a few years. I just never publicly launched it bc I was still in my data collection. Most of my business is word of mouth. I’m not new to the tortoise world. My call name on tortoise forum is shellfreak. I don’t really need to defend any of that. maybe one day if you buy something off of amazon that is fragile, you will have a little device on the outside of the box that could potentially warrant you some money back, if the device turned and your package was damaged. And even better, one day you might buy a tortoise egg from me, and if the device turns and the egg is damaged, you will get a refund or another egg.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #17
Thomas anderson
Yes he asked me to join an I did because from experience I know it works an I’ll go to bat for tortstork anywhere. go look at my Instagram pictures an videos of me hatching my Russian. https://www.instagram.com/toots.and.moe.the.tortoises/

Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
Thomas anderson
And I also have an article in the new reptile magazine this month about how tortstork help me go check that out too https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg69y21B....the.tortoises

Old 03-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #19
Magic Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbetz-Tortstork View Post
My name is Randy. Randy Betz. I developed a device that will show the customer whether the box was flipped upside down during shipping. I have lawyers and patent lawyers. I also have some other patents completely unrelated to tortoises. You don’t have to have a million dollar company to own patents. You’re barking up the wrong tree here. This is a hobby for me. I’ve been selling tortoises for over 30 years. I have never sold a tortoise that wasn’t healthy. The egg thing has been in the works for a few years. I just never publicly launched it bc I was still in my data collection. Most of my business is word of mouth. I’m not new to the tortoise world. My call name on tortoise forum is shellfreak. I don’t really need to defend any of that. maybe one day if you buy something off of amazon that is fragile, you will have a little device on the outside of the box that could potentially warrant you some money back, if the device turned and your package was damaged. And even better, one day you might buy a tortoise egg from me, and if the device turns and the egg is damaged, you will get a refund or another egg.
Dude, you just can't help yourself can you? "Barking up the wrong tree?" I never said that you had to have a million dollar company to get a patent. What I said is that if you ever want to defend that patent against someone who is infringing you better have a ton of money in the bank to pay the lawyers.......over a dozen current family members are lawyers so you might wanna rethink arguing points of law with me. I also never said or insinuated that you have shipped or sold unhealthy animals, I was offering simple advice on how to compete with larger breeders. I guess you did not read the part of the post that talked about the reptile community being small and word spreading quickly about good and bad dealings......personally, I consider your communication so far as "fraught with red flags." You might wanna try having an, "attitude of gratitude."

Old 03-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Magic Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas anderson View Post
Yes he asked me to join an I did because from experience I know it works an I’ll go to bat for tortstork anywhere. go look at my Instagram pictures an videos of me hatching my Russian. https://www.instagram.com/toots.and.moe.the.tortoises/
I love the pic and video posted on Feb 20.......tort doing his best impression of Gamera for the old moster movies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!