HELP!!!!!!! Breeding sinoloans ESCAPED!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
Migga069
Stop! HELP!!!!!!! Breeding sinoloans ESCAPED!!!!!

i need some help i put my sinaloans together last night and they were locking up etc.. so i decided to let them stay together over night.. well to my suprise this morning when i woke up both were missing.. i cannot find them anywhere and i dont live in a small house either.. i tore my whole room apart and realized they can get under my door.. so now they can be in the living room dinning room kitchen family room bathroom basement upstairs etc.. what do i do.. wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt a breeding pair.. but AHHH im flipping out.. anyone have any ideas... (i swear god hates me) lol

Old 05-07-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
I have lots of ideas....

but the thing is none of them may work unless you are really lucky. I have lost snakes before, too many times, because of brain farts mostly, and here is how I found them - when I did, which was most times:

1) Don't do anything and your spouse who hates them will inevitably find them - this may be up to almost one year later. My wife finds my loose snakes repeatedly without looking - like there they are when she goes to do the laundry, or to the pantry, or once even outside next to our garage - and that snake was missing for well over 6 months - but there it was crawling along the side of our garage.

2) Look in your room again. Take out everything piece by piece, and check in each as you move them.

3) That includes everything in your closet, and includes inside your box spring of your mattress set and in your pillow cases.

4) Set out hide boxes under heat lamps. Hardly ever works but I once found a female kingsnake, gone for about 8 months, under a tank at the heat pad end. The tanks was raised up so not too much heat would build up, and she just crawled under and got warmed up. She was fatter and longer than when she escaped, so either she got outside and ate mice, or found mice in my house and ate them.

5) Sprinkle flour on the floor, and look for snake trails. People swear by this but, I figure - so what you see a trail - Now where is the snake?

6) Set a snake trap baited with the food items (mice) for the snakes.

7) Pray.

8) Don't panic, they probably will show up, but in the meantime seal any holes into walls, seal off the basement, and seal off spaces under doors.

9) Remember they are breeding, you may very well find them together as the male will be attracted to the pheromones given off by the female. Also the snakes are likely to be more active than at other times because of the mating drive, so stay alert.

10) Leave out snake bags or pillow cases into which a family member can put the snakes if they catch them. Even snake haters can usually be enticed to catch these loose squirmers if for no other reason than they do not want snakes crawling on them in their sleep.

11) Check the trash before putting it out, be on the safe side.

12) Plug off drains.

13) Did I mention pray, and I am not even religious!

Hopefully this made you laugh but also gave you some good ideas. While you are waiting for them to show up, figure out what went wrong with that "locked" snake cage and get it fixed.

14) Look in the snake tank again, I have known of at least 5 people to panic and not realize the snakes were in the tank all along (silly as it sounds but true).

All the best,
GB

Old 05-07-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Migga069
thank you..

hey just wanted to say thank you.. just went out to the pet store and bought 7 live mice.. lets see if i can put them in some rubbermaids all over the house without my sister killing them all before the snakes find them.. lol .. anyways i just searched my whole room my vent has been closed because my close to 7lb male ball got loose the other day.. i found out that rubbermaids SUCK! i bought the lock tight ones with the latches.. well ya they really suck.. i need to buy a rack.. but snakes came in and it was a spurt of the moment buy so i needed cages asap.. anyways im praying to the snake gods.. i only had these snakes for 2 days.. mind you the hondos are all in their cages.. damn male wants out to get to the girls.. anyways i cant find them anywhere im going to try and bait a few traps with these mice.. bought mouse maker also to scent snake bags with so hopefully they will smell it and go in.. found one of my ball pythons in a structure bag one time.. lol anyways.. im going away for the weekend.. i dont want to miss out on breeding these snakes this season.. or finding eggs in a few weeks in the tub.. lol.. sigh.. anyways thank you and you made me laugh but hopefully something works..
if anyone else has any ideas please feel free to let me know..

News flash!!!
first person to come to my house and find them get a free trio of tangerine hondo yearlings

lol.. thanks everyone have a good one.. and thank you for the help
mike

Old 05-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
Twiztid
Actually, Rubbermaids work great...

but not on their own. You have to tape the unlatched sides down or else the snakes can easily push them open. I've used them for years and only had one escape from a determined bull snake. Depending on the size of the box, you need to put at least 3 pieces of duct tape on each side for them to be secure. Hope that helps. Sounds like you've got alot of escapees.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
Migga069
FOUND ONE!!!

hey i found the male.. but still no female in sight.. sigh.. and guess what he was in my room.. i spent 3 hours tearing my room apart took everything out looked in every box bag etc. and there he was slithering on my floor.. now if only i could find his girl.. wish me luck

will try the tape thanks for the help

Old 05-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Migga069
Talking FOUND HER!!!!!

I just found the female. i was sitting here on the comp just about to say still no luck.. and i said the tony tony turn around somethings lost and must be found prayer.. and wham.. out of nowhere i hear a bag moving.. so i look over and just think cant be maybe the bag fell off my neices toys etc.. well i decided to look and their in all my neices toys was my snake.. just curled up in a bag of puzzels.. man am i ever relived.. thank you for all your help and support..

(maybe now they will breed lol.. although its been awhile since her shed....) put them together hes still trying to hump her face..

Old 05-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #7
snakekid13
my amazon tree boa got loose a couple days ago trust me finding a loose arboreal snake isnt very easy and guess where i found him he was coiled on top of one of the ceiling fan blades! glad i didnt turn the fan on lol!

Old 05-12-2004, 09:32 PM   #8
Migga069
flying snakes anyone? lol

well im glad you found him before you sent him flying..

Old 05-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
jenn_jeffery
Out of curiosity, how did it get TO the fan blades anyway?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!