What Size Megaray Bulb for 36x18x18? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
DJ Dragons
And your options are 92 or over 150 when you move the bulb closer?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
DJ Dragons
Good luck with the height adjustment Billy. I don't know how your basking spot is setup but you might want to also consider just raising the basking spot if you think your dragon might escape. The PowerSun and Reptisun 10.0 tubes are the bulbs we use pretty much exclusively, although we've also raised a couple dragons with CFL's and have had no issues when used at a correct distance.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Johnstud56
My dragon is about 14" away from the UVB..... should I get something higher up? What should I use for a basking spot?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
DJ Dragons
I see you have another thread going with questions. How long are you keeping your UVB on now and how big is your dragon?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Johnstud56
4.5 months old... 19 inches long and UVB 12-14 hours

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
DJ Dragons
What are you using to measure the temps? Gaping while basking as you may already know occurs as a means to reduce a dragon's body temperature. Are you seeing your dragon gaping much while basking? If your dragon is gaping already while basking then your temps may already be decent.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
Johnstud56
Yeah his body temp is 100 usually with the temp at 105 or 103... a digital temp gun

Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Johnstud56
I was just worried about the coil UVB bulbs as I had head negativity about them, I have the Reptiglo 10.0 coil bulb

Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
DJ Dragons
For what it's worth, we were lucky enough or unlucky enough, however you put it to have a number of Repti-glo 10.0 coil bulbs around and we tested them. We had one old bulb that was putting out a crazy amount of UV radiation and what I mean by that is it was putting out more UV then our strongest MVB's we had on hand. That said, we've personally tested a number of the newer ones and they are generally pretty similar to a Reptisun 10.0 tube as far as UV output.

Last summer, we purchased two female dragons and one was raised under a PowerSun 100Watt MVB and the other was raised under a Repti-glo 10.0 CFL and an incandescent basking bulb. We had no issues with appetite or growth in either case.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Gina Gauvin
Lightbulb Your house is too cold.

Billy,
If your temps aren't 100-105 on the hot end, it's probably that your house is too cold. You mentioned lower to mid 60's I believe. If you don't want to raise the house temps try insulating the back and sides of your tank with some kind of insulation found at homedepot maybe. Also, that fake rock in the back. If it's styrofoam you probably should remove it or chance melting it if it comes too close to the bulb.
Also you can fix the lighting so it's on one end of the tank. (fluorescent tube, kittycornered as best you can), and cover the remaining part of the lid with either paper or cardboard, or anything that'll keep the heat from escaping.
And that's if the heatlight is sitting directly on the lid and can be kept off the paper. You don't want the light fixtures over the paper.
If you have cats or any other loose creatures you'll need to make sure everything is secured properly to prevent fires. I live in RI and suffer from freezing winters and this works for me and my house temps are 74-76, much to my oil companies delight.
At Petsmart they have some ceramic branches that are about the right height to get them closer. You should be about 10in away from the bulb.
Concerning the open mouth, that should only happen after he get's hot. If he does it all the time, and it's accompanied by any breathing sounds he could have caught a uri if he was too cold for too long.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!