Keeper Verus Vet Treatment With A Poll - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: Keeper versus veterinary treatment of herps - what do you think?
1. I think that all drugs for herps should require a veterinary prescription and all should be administered only by a qualified herp veterinarian. 0 0%
2. I think that herp keepers should be permitted to treat herps, without vets prescriptions, for parasites and some other ailments, and that anti-parasitic drugs and some antibiotics for herps should be available over the counter. 4 40.00%
3. I think all herp drugs require a veterinary prescription, however keepers should be allowed to administer these to their own herps after first visiting a veterinarian. 5 50.00%
4. I think that herp keepers should be allowed to treat their animals for any disease or ailment with a veterinary prescription and without a visit to a veterinarian. 1 10.00%
5. I am uncertain as to which course of action to take. 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2004, 06:24 AM   #11
Glenn Bartley
The fact is that blanket policies allowing keepers to care for animals by administering many medications do exist in with care of almost every type of animal except herps. Therefor such blanket choices do apply in the real world of pet or animal care.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #12
pappy1473
I truly understand herp keepers complaint about unqualified vets and the expenses etc, however, It is against the veterinarians oath and most state veterinary practice acts for a vet to prescribe medications for animals they have not performed a physical examination on. That is the bottom line. Although I know once some vets get a doctor/client/patient relationship established they may do these things as "favors", but it is against most states regulations and they could get their licenses pulled for doing that. Also, it really is for the protection of your animal for them to want to see them before prescribing meds. This is because some of the commonly used (sometimes overly used) antibiotics in herps CANNOT be administered to herps that are dehydrated, so they need to check hydration status. Also, they need to make sure that what is ailing your sick herp will be "covered" by the antibiotic they prescribe. Antibiotics (such as Baytril) that are overly prescribed are eventually going to cause huge problems. Many bacteria that cause illness ( such as upper respiratory infections in herps) can become resistent to antibiotics if overly used and not given properly, or given the full duration of the prescribed dosage.
i have been a licensed veterinary technician (specializing in exotics) for over 10 years. Just know I understand your concerns, just understand where the vets are coming from. As a reptile owner, you need to make sure and do some research on local vets in your area and see who has experience with exotics. That is your responsibility. Not every veterinarian is trained to handle exotic animal species including herps. Most usually only see dogs and cats. That is usually not part of their course of study in vet school..
I know that must of us that are experienced can certainly medicate are own animals, but in cases of illness, I think you should see a vet for proper diagnosis.

Just my .02

Shannon Richards LVT
&
Christian Wright
C&S REPTILES

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!