Allison Covan, Parkville MD - Warning! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Mooing Tricycle
Allison Covan, Parkville MD - Warning!

I debated for a few days whether this was BOI worthy or not. and at this point, im just so frustrated ( Still ) about this whole situation.
[b]
Allison was/is a user on another site that i frequently use/visit. (Livejournal.com) and she had posted about a Leucistic Texas Ratsnake that she wanted to find a new home for. She said she would let the animal go for 40.00. I posted back asking if she would take 40.00 shipped for the snake, as i knew a friend* who i could ask to do a pickup for me.
(* most of you know who im talking about, but i feel other than arranging shipping she dosnt need to be concerned with this post, i hope this is understood) and since Allison wanted to find it a GOOD home i figured it was a fairly reasonable offer. She agreed and i gave her my email. From there on all communication was through email.

The pickup was arranged For tuesday the 28th for wed overnight delivery on the 29th.

Here is where it got funny at first, but it was not the "sellers" fault. Another pickup from the person who was shipping for the both of us was scheduled, and for some reason UPS's system overrode the one that was scheduled for me, and didnt pick the snake up ( it just got deleted from their system). So sure, fine, stuff like this does happen and i wasnt that bothered by it.
another pickup was arranged that day if i remember correctly (the 28th) for Thursday the 30th for a Friday delivery on the 1st. Contact from this point Stopped from Allisons end but she did agree that her father would be there to make sure the snake was picked up.

So at first, the whole non contact issue was i just figured it was cause she was at work late that night, because she "supposedly" was the first night the animal was supposed to go out, and replied to my email saying how she just got home from work and the box was still there.( it was later at night.. )

So friday comes, and I waited around all day for the animal until i had to go to work at 5pm. My boyfriend was here at home for the rest of the day, still no animal.

I let it go for a day just to see if i would get a response.(remember there had been no response now for a few days and i was getting pretty worried) Nothing... so i issued a Paypal Claim and am now in the process of getting my money back. So far there has been no contact since ive created the claim as well, and within 10 days i should automatically get my money back. So.. yay, but still. I just wanted to warn others of this situation and for them to beware. I guess we can show this as an example of buying from people you dont know at all, or know very little about. BE CAREFUL!

Im going to provide all the emails/ Livejournal comments/posts as well so that you may all see. Sorry its going to be so long!!!!!

By the way, the Original post advertising the animal WAS deleted. The emails are ones that are forwarded to me when i get replies to comments ive made in entries. I tried to use Google Cache to find the entry, but i dont think it was indexed at that time.... so no proof there.

anyway, i hope this helps at least.

_____
Livejournal Comment Reply Emails

_____
Emails To and From

This was the first email i got from her regarding the snake. it went on from here. Her emails will be in Bold, so that they are easier to read and tell apart from mine.

On 11/22/06, Allison . <lillyorchid@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

She is eating f/t rat pinks or f/t mouse fuzzies. She is approximately 2 feet long, but slender. More of her pictures can been seen on my site: http:www.willowdaisy.com

--
Ali

On 11/22/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

Sweet! I would like to take her, i just have to ask my friend if shes willing to set something up, it IS getting cold out so wed have to watch the weather. Do you have a box with foam and such? if you dont, I have a few, i could send one to you with all the stuff youd need to ship her (bag, 18 HR hand warmer )

I just need to double check that shes only 40.00 Shipped? I can send you the money, and when i speak with my friend you can speak with her/him about shipping. Or if you want it to be simple, i can just send her the money and i can just tell you the date they will pick the snake up? - Alicia Holmes

On 11/22/06, Allison . <lillyorchid@gmail.com> wrote:

I have everything to ship a snake in, I'm just not certified with FedEx yet to ship animals.

-Allison

On 11/23/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

OKay sweet! do you mind me sending you money now then? Not sure if youre awake this late at night, i just got home from work. All is well to recieve the snake, so would you want to Possibly ship out on a tuesday for a wed arrival? Let me know! Im all set to pay! Also, last thing, do you take paypal? - Alicia Holmes

okay, she will do the Pickup for me! Her Name is ______ (leaving that blank remember!). Shes a sweetheart and a wonderful friend. but if you can give me youre addy ill let her know so she can arrange everything! So just let me know if This tuesday for a Wed Arrival is okay? Youd just have to pack the snake and send it on its merry way!

Just let me know wether you want me to send you the money first, or if you want me to just pay ____ for the shipping to me. Any extra needed tell her to ask me and ill pay it.

Just mark the box "Live Reptile", and leave a phone number, You can use mine if you prefer. ( i dont mind strange calls! ) And feel free to call me if you need as well! ( even tomorrow if you want! ) But shell have a seriously wonderful home here! I can promise you that! - Alicia Holmes

(phone number is (860) 944-9763) call me ANY time of day if you want to talk to me about anything specific!

PS. Also, expect a Christmas present ^_- because ive wanted one of these guys for seriously too long! so ill be sending you something special for the holidays!

( i also didnt know that said friend would not take the money, the person sending the animal would just have to have a check ready... we went over this in our own emails so forgive me if it sounds funny because i didnt quite understand how it all worked )

On 11/23/06, Allison . <lillyorchid@gmail.com> wrote:

Where does your friend ______ live so I can give you or her directions to get here.
Also yes I do have a paypal account. it's the same as my email address lillyorchid@gmail.com

I can set her up to be picked up on Tuesday for a Wed delivery if that is what you'd like.

Happy Thanksgiving
-Allison

UPS would be picking the snake up, no travel by anyone ^_^. Theyre going to need a check Written out to them (UPS) for the shipment, so just have that ready when they get there. Ill let you know the total for the shipping so you can write the check out exact.
Im going to send you $40.00 Tonight, Since i have 47.00 in my account, and 10.00 tomorrow, to cover the shipping cost you requested, which should only really be about 35.00 Overnight, and to give you some extra because youve been too excellent through this!
I'll just need your Address and Ill give ____ both of our information and shell set everything up! A Tuesday Pickup By UPS for a Wed Arrival to my door.
They should provide you with a tracking number When he gets there, if he dosnt mention it, just ask, im sure hell let you know. Ill send the Paypal money on over tomorrow

You should see 40.00 in your paypal tonight, and 10.00 Tomorrow Afternoon/Evening. Take care! and i hope you had a lovely thanksgiving! - Alicia Holmes

Okay sounds good!
I was confused about the pick up... didn't know if you meant by person or by shipper.

Okay I know about the whole COD thing, payment for shipping when driver arrives since I use to work for FedEx. So I will cut a check for the shipping cost to the driver made out to USP.

My address is:
Allison Covan
____ Willoughby Road
Parkville MD ____
( leaving those address bits blank, i dont feel like being a total jerk on here, especially with sensitive information like this. hope this is okay...)

Awsome!

Ill send the info on over to ___! Thanks again! Remember, if you need to call me or anything, please feel free! When she does get here on Wed, Ill let you know immediately and send you some pictures as well! - Alicia Holmes

Okay great!
Won't I need your addy as well so I can make up a label, or is ____ taking care of that? If so will she email it to me so I can print it out and all that good stuff.

I'm so happy she is going to go to a good home!
-Allison

im not sure, ill give you her email so you can ask. Ill give it to you anyway just to be sure though.

Alicia Holmes
__ Christian Hill RD
Great Barrington MA ___
____ ( dont want mine out there either)

____ email is ____________________, Let her know that Youre the one talking to me about your Leucistic Texas Ratsnake.

I promise, she will have a forever home here, and she will be well cared for and loved! Im very very excited!! ^_^ - Alicia Holmes

On 11/24/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

"Pickup scheduled for after noon on Tuesday the 28th, total of $33.53 due when they pickup."

Is what ___ emailed to me this morning. Take care! everything should go smoothly! Thanks again! - Alicia Holmes

This is where everything goes Awry the first time.

On 11/28/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Just double checking to see that UPS was able to pick up the snake. Ive sent an email to ___ as well to check and see where its at! if you have the tracking number you can send it on over :P

Thanks much! ill be waiting for Her to arrive tomorrow! Take care - Alicia Holmes

okay, so___ got back to me about the whole shipment thing. im assuming they never even showed up to your house today...
heres what she sent me. i hope this dosnt mess up any of your schedule? I would suppose taking her out of the box is a good idea now? im pretty frustrated with UPS being retarded.... Get back to me when you can!

___'s Message:
"ok, for WHAYEVER UNGODLY reason, UPS overoad the pickup i made for you on Friday with the pickup i scheduled Monday, both for Today!!!! GRRRRRR, so they never showed up to her house and i feel horrible!!!!
I was on the phone FOREVER cause of some error that it was past time to schedule pickups for Tomorrow???? don't ask.....

so i made a fuss and the pickup is DEFINITELY scheduled for Thrus for Fri.... new total is only

$ 30.71

Sorry for the confusion and please forward this to allison"

So i guess when you write out the check itll be for 30.71 now. Cheaper shipping and a better amount for you to keep!

Again, please let me know if this works for you okay? - Alicia Holmes

We were not sure if it Went through, or not as well... in the end, it never did

okay sorry to be bothersome, if they DID show up, that might explain why the shipment was not in her system.. im not getting my hopes up on this one though... but if they did. oh that would rock. - Alicia Holmes

On 11/28/06, Allison . <lillyorchid@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, I just got home a few minutes ago from work and my father said they never came. I was really confused! She is now back in her tank. Poor girl!

What time will they be picking her up on Thursday so I can make sure someone will be here to give the driver the check & the snake!?

-Allison

Okay ___ said that itll be for 12 or after thursday! This time, its for sure! and ill make sure to be on their asses ALL day about this one! Im seriously too sorry about this... im sure The girly didnt appreciate being stuck in a box all day long either! - Alicia Holmes

On 11/28/06, Allison . <lillyorchid@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay cool.
My father will be here once again with the snake in box with the new check.

-Allison

Apologize to him for me would you? im sure he dosnt love to sit and wait for UPS's Dumb butts to show up either.... <3 ^_- - Alicia

On 11/30/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

Today should be the day! I work from 12-8 today so ill see if i can check my mail for a reply from ____ as well while im at work. Ill be here for her tomorrow when she arrives! Take care! - Alicia Holmes

On 12/1/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey, just emailing you to be sure that UPS went to your house and such yesterday, wanted to know if you have the tracking number as well so i can be sure shes here in MA now. she should be here soon if she did go out! let me know! Thanks - Alicia Holmes

( everything is all set up for her as well, so shes going to be comfortable immediately after getting out of that box!)

On 12/1/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

its 4:30 now and she still hasnt shown up yet. im getting a little worried as to where she is? Hoping everything went through without a hitch, and its just UPS taking their time? ___ says the shipment is in UPS's system and should have been picked up. She cannot tell the specifics of it. if you can call me to let me know the tracking number, and email it to me as well i would greatly appreciate that. I need the tracking number to get on UPS's butts and start finding out what is wrong. I have to work at 5PM today, and i work until 11PM. Gordon will still be here to get the snake should she arrive... Im really hoping she does!

My Phone Number is (860) 944-9763 Please call it whenever you get this to let me know what is up and the tracking number. My answering machine is a trick, it will say Hello? just so you know. if i DONT answer, leave a phone number i can call you back at. Call at ANY time it can be 2AM i dont care! - Alicia Holmes

On 12/2/06, Alicia Holmes <mooingtricycle@gmail.com> wrote:

Im sorry i have to do this, but im going to be issuing a chargeback with paypal for a refund of the 50.00 for the Leucistic Texas Ratsnake. No snake arrived today, and im fairly upset with this. since the last date for the shipment to go out, ive recieved little to no communication as to the tracking number, or the snake, or other contact information. Ive spoken with ___ as well, and nothing went through on her account. - Alicia Holmes

/end transactions.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
lillyorchid
Just to clarify to everyone... let this be a lesson learned. DO NOT try to ship an animal by using someone else's shipping account even when they say it is all good to go, etc. BAD BAD BAD idea. I just learned this!

Also UPS did come to pick up the snake on Thursday but the UPS driver would not take it, since they don't ship live animals. I was not there at the time, but I did get a phone call from my father letting me know what had happened. When I got home I emailed this girl and told her what had happened and told her I'd refund her the $50.00 since I'm not FedEx certified to ship yet.
She made it out to be something a lot more dramatic then it really was or needed to be.

I'm now just waiting till I'm 100% certified by FedEx before attempting to ship out another reptile.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or send me a email.
End reply.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyorchid
Just to clarify to everyone... let this be a lesson learned. DO NOT try to ship an animal by using someone else's shipping account even when they say it is all good to go, etc. BAD BAD BAD idea. I just learned this!

Also UPS did come to pick up the snake on Thursday but the UPS driver would not take it, since they don't ship live animals. I was not there at the time, but I did get a phone call from my father letting me know what had happened. When I got home I emailed this girl and told her what had happened and told her I'd refund her the $50.00 since I'm not FedEx certified to ship yet.
She made it out to be something a lot more dramatic then it really was or needed to be.

I'm now just waiting till I'm 100% certified by FedEx before attempting to ship out another reptile.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or send me a email.
End reply.
Allison, you need to post your full name or your post will be deleted, And it is also Bad Bad Bad idea to have someone else take responsibility for your shipping. You struck the deal you should of followed through with it. I sorta know Alicia and she never appeared to be one that goes off half cocked, and if you said you were going to refund you should of done it after you told her you would or at least within the hour. She shouldn't of had to file a dispute. I'm not saying your a bad person. I just think there are some holes here, Like the UPS drive coming and not taking the package .......Did it say "Live Snake" on the Box ???

Old 12-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
kmurphy
Alicia, I'm sorry but I'm a little confused. Did you arrange a pick-up by UPS or was your friend picking up the snake? Who are you upset with? I know you're saying Allison did something but what was it? It looks like she agree to everything you asked and your side was supposed to pick up the snake but didn't. I could be wrong though as it was hard to follow.

Kevin

Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyorchid
It's not always bad to use someone elses account. I've bought animals and if the sender is using Fed Ex, I just have them charge it ot my account. Now if you don't have an account, do not ship period. It will cause too much of a mess.
Also, when using UPS, you need to be VERY careful. Only a handful of people who have been using them for years can ship a live snake. Any of the recent accounts will not allow you to do it.

On another note, please don't tell me this is the beautiful female lucy I was debating getting.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
lillyorchid
Bill,
It's Allison Covan. She will have the money back on Friday (12-8) when my direct despot goes in from my work check.

Yes her friend Sara Gatto who set everything up for us told me to write "live reptile" on the box. So yes I did do that. I guess if I hadn't done that they would have taken the box without question...

Here is the email picture from the both of us:
http://www.willowdaisy.com/emailsara.jpg

This was just a odd understanding / mistake. Like I said above DO NOT ever do this. I have learned my lesson on letting someone else take on the shipment. NEVER AGAIN.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
lillyorchid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
On another note, please don't tell me this is the beautiful female lucy I was debating getting.
Yes Steve it is her.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Allison you did not ever email me or this post would never be here in the first place. if there is an email now, it is because you jsut sent it.( i havent checked yet) I can post the paypal claims online as well to prove this.

Do not lie as your ad over on ball pythons.net has said the snake went to a new home.

UPS does ship live animals and if this was the problem The shipper would have known. You also failed to mention that you had my phone number and did not call. This is just a poor excuse. you havent contacted me and only now have you because i made this post.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Alicia, I'm sorry but I'm a little confused. Did you arrange a pick-up by UPS or was your friend picking up the snake? Who are you upset with? I know you're saying Allison did something but what was it? It looks like she agree to everything you asked and your side was supposed to pick up the snake but didn't. I could be wrong though as it was hard to follow.

Kevin
Well since her name is now posted, Sara arranged a pickup for me. We had done this before with another animal i had and needed to send out, and the UPS driver took it no problems, so being the friend sara is she said she would do this again for me to take this snake, after the last email i sent saying that i never got the animal i hadn't received an email telling me anything on the status of the snake. If it was as simple as, "the driver wouldnt take it" i wouldnt have been angry, but lack of contact caused me to be upset and feel as though this girl just took my money and ran. She had my phone number, she could have called! Im not an unreasonable person at all and i think most people here can agree with that.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
lillyorchid
I'm not lieing. If you notice the date on that ad over on the other forum, you will see that it is dated the same day as you said you wanted her, etc. So I thought "she is sold... no need to have this up anymore". I still have her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!