Healthy weight of Suriname Marine Toads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
mdeford09
Healthy weight of Suriname Marine Toads

So, I purchased one of these Giant Marine toads and it arrived to me in a bit of bad way. Skinny as can be and a fungal infection in its eye. Poor little gal can't see out of the eye and she's so weak she can't even hop.

Thankfully, I ordered from a very reputable place and after showing them photos and a video, they promptly sent me a replacement that is in fantastic shape. They didn't even ask me to send the original one back. NERD is by far the best place to order from! (newenglandreptilestore.com).

However, I want to try and save the one in rough shape. I had been just letting her rest and offering food (which she hasn't eaten) but, I broke down and took her to the vet this morning. I was given antibiotics, fungicide, as well as something to take care of any possible internal parasites. However, they could not give me any sort of ideal goal weight. They basically told me to feed her anything she will eat for the next few months, the fatter the better on toads of this size.

They are both 8" long from snout to vent. The unhealthy gal weighs in at 720 grams. The healthy one comes in at just over 1100 grams. (insane difference, I know!). So, my goal for the unhealthy gal is over 1000 grams.

But, I was wondering if anyone has any actual healthy weight numbers for these? I have searched all over and found plenty of general info on cane toads their average weight ranges. Nothing on toads of this size and their healthy weight, though. To be honest, there seems to be a lack info all around for these beauties.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Old 10-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
hart24601
I think I got one of those toads from the same shipment from NERD. How are they doing? I have been having a hard time getting mine to eat, I hear they don't acclimate well so I keep trying.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
hart24601
I just made a thread about her today:

http://www.frogforum.net/showthread....Huge-Cane-Toad

Old 10-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
mdeford09
Mine are 50/50.

Hilariously, the one that came in such bad shape is the currently in the best shape. She is a very vigorous and healthy eater. She will literally eat anything you put in front of her. She currently weighs 1306 grams. I will attach some before and after photos. She's also really friendly and will come out of her hiding place at night and turns her head to follow you around the room, hoping for food. She's in a 125gal by herself.

The other is much more reserved and she really only eats when I leave food in the bowl. She will, on occasion eat from the tongs but it's pretty rare. She will at least come out at night and not dart for cover when she sees me. She's in a 75gal by herself.... I have a deep ceramic bowl that I will put Dubias, hornworms, and super worms in. She will clear it by morning. I recommend trying the same.

Before

After

Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
mdeford09
Responding to your other thread.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
hart24601
Really great to talk to another keeper of these! I have tried the overnight bowl with no luck and will keep trying until one of us dies, haha. Awesome getting the one back to good health!

Old 10-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
hart24601
It sounds like my girl might need to gain a little bit of weight. Any luck with non-living food?

Old 10-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
mdeford09
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart24601 View Post
Really great to talk to another keeper of these! I have tried the overnight bowl with no luck and will keep trying until one of us dies, haha. Awesome getting the one back to good health!
Glad I could help a little.

yeah, it took about a month before she started eating from the bowl. They can be finicky.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
mdeford09
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart24601 View Post
It sounds like my girl might need to gain a little bit of weight. Any luck with non-living food?
Looking at her in the other photos, she doesn't look awful. I'd consider it healthy.

I am sure I could get her to a rock, if I tangled it in front of her, haha. But, I haven't done any. I don't like feeding mice due to how unhealthy they are for toads and the cost for dead mealworms/grasshoppers is more than just buying them new.

For my staple, I raise dubia roaches. Then I buy random extras every few weeks fro rainbowmealworms. That way they get a really diverse diet.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
elena
I acclimated a group of imported Rococo Toads a few years ago. They are similar to the Cane Toads you are working with. I found that they were most enthusiastic about live nightcrawlers. So, you may want to try offering those.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
care, marine toad, toad, weight