How long can a baby hognose (10 grams) safely go without eating? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
lupegirl8
How long can a baby hognose (10 grams) safely go without eating?

Main Question: Is it safe for a baby hognose (10 grams) to go a month without eating?

Details:
I got a baby hognose snake on September 8th and she still hasn't eaten for me. Tomorrow it will have been three weeks without eating. I started another thread asking for advice and have tried nearly every trick people recommended (tuna scenting, feeding in a small dark container, leaving the pinkie in a dark place overnight, braining the pinkie, etc).

She started at 10 grams when I first got her and after about 2 weeks of not eating she weighed 9.1 grams (I haven't weighed her yet this week).

On Thursday night I'm leaving for a four day trip and by the time I get back it will have been about a month of her not eating. I'm going to have my roommate put pinkies in her cage while I'm gone so she will have the option to eat if she wants to. I'm planning to take her to the vet when I get back if she still hasn't eaten by then. Is it safe for her to have gone a month before being taken to the vet, or should I try to take her before I leave for my trip?

On Tuesday I'm going to try cutting a pinkie in half, braining it, scenting it with tuna, and leaving it in a dark container with her overnight. If that doesn't work I won't know what to try.

According to the people at the pet store (who I know pretty well and are trustworthy) she was eating like a pig for them so I don't think she is sick (and she started out well fed when I first got her).

Old 09-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Woody83
If she's never eaten for you and supposedly eating for them, I'd drop her off at the store while you are on your trip, see if she eats for them.

We used to have people do this when I worked at a pet store. I'd give them a call and see if they would be willing to do that.

If she eats for them, I'd duplicate exactly what they do and have for a setup.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
lupegirl8
@Woody83

I thought about doing that, but my understanding is that if she's not sick (which from her behavior and the fact that she had good appetite at the store doesn't seem likely) and the husbandry is correct (I've double and triple checked my husbandry and it is VERY similar to her setup at the store except a little bigger) then the only reason she wouldn't be eating is because she hasn't yet adjusted to her new home. If that is the case then wouldn't moving her to the store for four days and then putting her back in her old home only restart the process of adjustment and lead to her not eating for even longer?

Mainly I want to know if it is safe to leave her for the four days when she hasn't eaten in so long.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!