Hognose Set ups ok? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
KellyBelly
Hognose Set ups ok?

Hi, I just wanted to double check I am caring for my snakes well. I have two young hognose snakes. They are each in a ten gallon tank of their own. Their substrate is currently kaytee brand paper bedding. They each have some sort of ornament to bask on and each have a shallow water dish. The temps have been ok but not great lately because my window was jammed open, but it is fixed now. While it was jammed their warm spot was in the lower 80s. What temps should I be aiming for? Also, I have been feeding them each 1 f/t pink about 2x a week. Is that ok? Please give me any concerns, tips, or suggestions you may have- I want to provide the best care that I can. Thank you!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Big Borg Reptiles
As far as temperatures, you want the overall enclosure to be in the mid-70s and the hot end to be around 90. This gives them plenty of range to choose from. Regarding feeding, it depends on how large they are. You want to feed them something about as big around as they are, but twice a week is appropriate since these guys have such a high metabolism.

It's not really a concern if the temps dropped for a short period, they go down to 50 degrees during brumation. If you're not prepping them for breeding you obviously want to avoid that, but it won't hurt them for a short period to drop a few degrees.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!