Our Western Hognoses - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
Acidic Angel
Our Western Hognoses

Years ago I decided I wanted to look at western hognoses, so I got to researching. Finally in 2014, I got my first western hognose- Thorne

We got Thorne at the Doncaster Reptile Show in September 2014. I had decided I wouldn't force myself to get one, I would only get one if I knew it was "the one for me" so to speak. That one that really caught my eye both visually and behaviourally. Walking round the tables, and I spotted another table with hognoses. Looking through, looking at the tubs of baby hognoses all curled up. Some of them hissing and huffing, some of them hiding, and then there was Thorne. Just sat looking up at me with his upturned nose, all cute.
I instantly went "That one, I'd like that one please." and bought this tiny, adorable normal 50% poss het frosted hognose.
At the time I was only buying as a pet, to get used to owning a hognose before breeding. So I had no true interest in his genetics really, but had thought ahead and decided to get something interesting for future plans. Turns out I got some of the least worked with genes in the UK lol. When I did decide on breeding, I decided to get a rrosted female to pair with Thorne. That turned out to be harder than expected and quite expensive! xD

Anyway, fast forward to this year(2016) when we found a grown on CB15 frosted for sale. It took some convincing but my fiance finally decided it was a good plan. And so we put a deposit down on her I picked her up at the Doncaster Show on the 19th June 2016.

So, after all that rambling... Here's some photo's of the pair :P This is just the start of our hognoses though.

Thorne- CB14 Male Normal 50% poss het Frosted.

Rose- CB15 Female Frosted.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Valkea
Gorgeous! Love them both. They're addictive. I just added a third to my collection.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Acidic Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkea View Post
Gorgeous! Love them both. They're addictive. I just added a third to my collection.
Thank you When we move out of the tiny one bed flat we currently live in(long story, wasn't a choice I would have made personally) we're planning some albino stuff, anaconda stuff, etc.

Hopefully we'll be out of here by the end of this year and into our own house. Looking forward to that lol.

They are definitely addictive! Mind you, so are corns(of which we have 6) haha!
Along with the corns we have leopard geckos, cats, chinchillas, mourning geckos, millipedes, tarantulas.... xD Oh and fish tanks.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
Valkea
Ohh yeah I totally understand! I had 3 snakes in my bedroom a couple years ago because my roommate hated snakes. Bought a house after I moved out of there and it's great. Mind you all 7 of my snakes are back in my bedroom now, but at least it's a big one!

I've got 3 hogs, 1 carpet python, 1 cali king, 2 corns, 1 russian dwarf hamster, 2 dogs. Roommate has a rabbit. For a while I also had 2 cats, another dog, a horse (lived off my property though) and a dozen rats haha. Pets are fun

Old 06-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Acidic Angel
Quote:
Ohh yeah I totally understand! I had 3 snakes in my bedroom a couple years ago because my roommate hated snakes. Bought a house after I moved out of there and it's great. Mind you all 7 of my snakes are back in my bedroom now, but at least it's a big one!

I've got 3 hogs, 1 carpet python, 1 cali king, 2 corns, 1 russian dwarf hamster, 2 dogs. Roommate has a rabbit. For a while I also had 2 cats, another dog, a horse (lived off my property though) and a dozen rats haha. Pets are fun
Ours are sort of spread through the flat.
In the living room we've got four of the corns, the yellow rat snake, the mourning geckos, the tarantulas & the chinchillas.
In the bedroom we have the fish tanks, the hognoses, the other two corns and the leopard geckos.
Then the cats just roam the flat, except they are locked out of the living room when we're out or asleep due to the chins- They could kill the chins just by sitting next to the cage due to a certain bacteria which they carry in their saliva.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
Valkea
Very nice! Do you keep your hogs in racks?

Once I get my vivarium set up my carpet python will be in the living room I think. Not sure yet!

Chins are so neat but seem so fragile. One of my dogs has ridiculously high prey drive so no small furry things for me, including cats. I may try breeding my own feeders at some point but they'd be well separate from the dogs.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Acidic Angel
Quote:
Very nice! Do you keep your hogs in racks?

Once I get my vivarium set up my carpet python will be in the living room I think. Not sure yet!

Chins are so neat but seem so fragile. One of my dogs has ridiculously high prey drive so no small furry things for me, including cats. I may try breeding my own feeders at some point but they'd be well separate from the dogs.
We have a rack set up for the leopard geckos and Thorne the male hognose is on the rack. Rose was on another rack in the bedroom until last night when I moved her into her 2ft viv in the living room. So now we have one hognose in the living room and one in the bedroom lol.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
Valkea
Nice! I was just curious because I'm planning on building a rack for any future hatchlings. I'll probably do something similar to you and keep my female(s) in vivs though. Or if I can somehow modify the rack to fit larger tubs may do that.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Acidic Angel
Quote:
Nice! I was just curious because I'm planning on building a rack for any future hatchlings. I'll probably do something similar to you and keep my female(s) in vivs though. Or if I can somehow modify the rack to fit larger tubs may do that.
I'm just going to see how she does in the viv, if she isn't comfortable then she'll get moved back onto the rack in a tub. If we had more than one pair I'd probably use a rack system for them, with larger tubs for females.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!