Is this stargazing? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
lupegirl8
Is this stargazing?

Many of the last several times I've checked on my new baby hognose she has been in the back corner with her body almost totally vertical pressed into the crease of the corner looking up. It's almost like she was trying to escape but decided to give up and just sit there. She's not like that every time I check on her, but I'd say about 50% of the time she's in that position. It's always the same corner too.

Is that stargazing? She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms (except that she hasn't eaten for me yet, but it's only been about a week since I brought her home).

Am I just being paranoid or is this something to worry about?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:43 AM   #2
humanmeerkat
Snakes that suffer stargazing tend to sit with their bodies twisted round holding their head in the air and struggle to move around as it's a symptom of a central nervous disease. It's not a disease all of its own but comes from other illness issues. Normally more common in boas I've never seen it in hogs but it is possible of course. I think what could be happening is its trying to climb the side and then you appear benind him and the snake Sense you there and goes still. If it's running the side of the tanks and moving around then I would guess your little friend is just fine.
Seems you might be suffering new keeper syndrome where a snake acts different to how its expected to and the keeper worries.
Pop a branch in for him to climb up on my hogs love to climb although not as good as boas at it they still enjoy a climb about.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Try putting the snake on it's back to see if it can right itself.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
snowgyre
I haven't heard of stargazing in colubrids before. However, that posture can be a sign of a respiratory infection.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
lupegirl8
She can definitely right herself and seems otherwise active and healthy (apart from not eating). I'm probably just being overly worried. I have a lot of experience with turtles, but this is my first snake.

What are other symptoms of a respiratory infection in snakes? I know in turtles it's overbasking, lethargy, lack of appetite, wheezing, open mouth breathing, and mucus discharge around the nose and mouth. My snake definitely hasn't shown any of those other symptoms, except for the lack of appetite but I think that's just because she's still adjusting. She is active, bright eyed, and huffy.

Also since posting I haven't seen her in that position again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!