Jackson chameleon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Hlemunyon12
Jackson chameleon

I know a fair amount about chameleons but I have a question for someone who is very confident in there knowledge about chameleon husbandry. So I have a terrarium that is 36x18x18 and the front of it is completely screen along with the top but glass on the other sides. Would that be suitable for a chameleon? I also take my reptiles outside regularly so it would not always be in the terrarium.

I need answers!! Thank you

Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlemunyon12 View Post
I know a fair amount about chameleons
Can I ask what first hand/practical experience do you have with Chamaeleonidae as a whole? Can you please list the species for me? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
but I have a question for someone who is very confident in there knowledge about chameleon husbandry.
I am most definitely NOT sure, that, I would say/feel that I am VERY confident in Chamaeleonidae husbandry. I do however have experience with Trioceros jacksonii, which, I believe from the title of the post, is, the species you are interested in. If I am incorrect, I am sorry and please let me know.

Quote:
So I have a terrarium that is 36x18x18
The size sounds adequate for a Trioceros jacksonii. Again, assuming, that is the species you are interested in.

Quote:
band the front of it is completely screen along with the top but glass on the other sides.
Is this an enclosure you made or one you purchased? The reason I am asking, is, I can not envision an enclosure like that. So, I would find it highly beneficial to see said enclosure.

My gut reaction, without seeing a picture, is, that for Trioceros jacksonii it might be acceptable. I have kept them in both open air (mesh type) and tall front opening vivariums. It also depends on the temperatures and humidity of the external environment that your Chamaeleonidae will be kept in. I.E.: the temperatures and humidity of your house, will, GREATLY influence the way you keep your Chameleons and the enclosure type(s) you use.

Quote:
Would that be suitable for a chameleon?
Now, I am thinking you don't mean a Trioceros jacksonii. In that case, it would depend on the enclosure and the species you are actually interested in.

Quote:
I also take my reptiles outside regularly so it would not always be in the terrarium.
The biggest problems with Chamaeleonidae as a whole is STRESS!! I would NOT recommend doing that with any Chameleon.

Quote:
I need answers!!
I am NOT sure, if, I gave you any answers. But, I tried. On a serious note, please, let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Quote:
Thank you
No, thank you, for reading my long nonsensical post!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Hlemunyon12
Thank you. I am in fact talking about jacksons chameleons. The terrarium is a normal sized 55 gallon terrarium and I smashed out one side and turned it on its side to stand up right and then put a screen top on it. I will upload a photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Hlemunyon12
Thank you again for your feed back

Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Hlemunyon12

Old 06-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Hlemunyon12
Oh and my only prior experience with chameleons is my veiled chameleon I had when I was younger and taking care of a friends panther chameleon for a long period of time. Besides that I have plenty of experience with other species of reptiles and amphibians.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Thank you.
Don't thank me just yet. I haven't actually helped you.

Quote:
I am in fact talking about jacksons chameleons.
Well, at least, I got the species in question correct.

Quote:
The terrarium is a normal sized 55 gallon terrarium
I now understand, since, I saw the picture. Thank you, for posting said picture.

Quote:
and I smashed out one side and turned it on its side to stand up right and then put a screen top on it.
I love your D.I.Y. I am TERRIBLE at D.I.Y. So, I could never hope to replicate your amazing work. I definitely feel it would be appropriate for the species in question. What are the temperatures and general humidity in the room, that, your specimen will be kept in?

Quote:
Oh and my only prior experience with chameleons is my veiled chameleon I had when I was younger
I would say that Chamaeleo calyptratus is the most "forgiving" chameleon species. If, you can call any Chameleon species forgiving. I would say that Trioceros jacksonii is fairly "forgiving". Much more so then the Furcifer pardalis that you mentioned.

Quote:
and taking care of a friends panther chameleon for a long period of time.
Can I ask how long? To me, a long time caring for a Furcifer pardalis would be like two weeks!! Of course, in actuality that isn't a long period of time.

Quote:
Besides that I have plenty of experience with other species of reptiles and amphibians.
What follows is nothing but my two cents, so, take it for exactly what it is worth. I feel Chamaeleonidae are UNLIKE almost any other reptile or amphibian. They are just so easily stressed out. So, are much harder to keep, in my humble opinion.

I hope this post made sense. If, you need any further assistance regarding my convoluted post, please, let me know.

Thanks!!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
LauraB
Hopefully, you have done some research on Jackson's and know that their husbandry requirements are different than Veiled and Panther's.

Number one, please remove the substrate. Chams can accidently ingest substrate which could have deadly consequences. Also, due to the high humidity requirements, substrate can foster mold, bacteria, etc, particularly when they "eliminate". Better to use paper towels or nothing in a cham cage, particularly since you do not have an all-screen cage.

Also, because Jackson's are a montane species, they require lower basking and ambient temps than a Veiled or Panther, so you will want to pay close attention to your basking and cooler temps since you are using a modified glass tank which will retain more heat than a traditional screen enclosure.

Also please realize that your tank size is pretty much the minimum size that any cham keeper would recommend for an adult Jackson's.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
LauraB
And, yes .... as pointed out previously, the less handling (like taking outside), the better where ALL chameleons are concerned. Just provide the proper UVB without further stressing the animal.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #10
Hlemunyon12
Thank you for all the answers ! I Have done loads of research and will take everything said here into consideration

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!