Removing sutures yourself? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
AbstractCypher
Removing sutures yourself?

Is it safe enough to remove sutures on a snake w/out going to have a vet do it?

My Retic had exploratory surgery a while back and the sutures are to be removed really soon.
I recently moved w/ my girlfriend and we're a bit strapped for cash right now.
If it's safe i'll remove them myself w/ the proper instruction.
But I have no idea if it is or how to go about doing it.

I tried to reference my Reptile Medicine and Surgery (Mader) book, but theres nothing on the procedure of removal.

ANY help would be awesome.

Thanks,

Ray

Old 07-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
Winter
I am no expert by any stretch, but before you try to remove sutures yourself, I would suggest that you try to contact your vet and get a price quote on the procedure. The reason I say this is because my vet does not charge anything to remove sutures and examine the animal after surgery, regardless of how involved it was or what species it was performed on.

Also, even though it can be easy to take them out yourself, it would probably be best to have a DVM look at the area beforehand anyway if it can be done. That way you can make sure that everything is healing properly and that there are no complications to worry about later on.

Best of luck,

Lauren Rost

Old 07-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
gr8fr0g
My DVM does the same thing. The follow up exam and suture removal are included in the surgery price. You should have your DVM do it because when healing the skin occasionally grows over a knot or 2 which makes digging them out a wee bit more difficult.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
AbstractCypher
It was included in the price but the problem is I moved before they were due out.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
Sybella
As long as it has healed and there is no infection present, I would say go for it. I'm sure you know what your snake is supposed to look like and will make a new appointment elsewhere if anything is alarming to you.

Just clip between the knot and the skin on one side of the knot, and then grasp the knot and gently pull...the suture should slide out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!