Do leo's see colors? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-30-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
geckosurfer
Do leo's see colors?

I've noticed that when I use the plastic yellow tweezers, they go for that rather than the worm I'm holding, but when I use the chrome tweezers, they go for the worm.

I'm thinking they see shades of grey, but....I've been wrong before.

--Julie

Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
hill4803
I already covered this on KS

They do not see color. They are nocturnal, so no use in seeing color. They lack the cones in the retina that would allow them to see color.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #3
geckosurfer
D'oh!

I should of thought of that. Just thought it was mighty peculiar. Thanks, RHill!

PS--I never go to KS. But I've been duly reprimanded!

Old 08-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
hill4803
They probably are attracted by the shine

I used to tease crabs on the coast with shiny things. Who reprimanded you off of KS?

Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 AM   #5
riverjop
Ro!....so while were on this subject, is that in leopard geckos only? The reason I ask is why would, say....blue belly males have a bright blue patch under there throat and abdomen? I know there dinural but I was just wondering is this only in nocturnal rep's? There are many lizards, snakes & amphibians where the males have bright colors. like anoles with there red dewlap, in males. Just wondering?

Old 08-31-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
geckosurfer
it is probably more of personal avoidance--KS is too much like dating database. I sporadically (it's been weeks) looked at it and each time I want to wash my hands. It's like highschool all over with a golden nugget of information burried in the ASL-lingo.

Back to the gecko's I can under the shiny things (that would be fun to tease the crabs), but I'm just perplexed by the yellow tweezers--they seem to be far more fascinating to them then shiny things. Perhaps it's because they don't shine. Who knows what goes on in there little brains, except for Food, mating, and...hey, that sounds like this other forum!

Good point, Overton--Like birds and their flamboyant colors.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Julie

Old 08-31-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
hill4803
diurnal reps are a different ballgame

a lot of them can see colors...for warning or to attract a mate. You could pretty much lump almost all nocturnal animals in the "color blind" category, a lot of the diurnal ones are also only seeing black/white (and shades of gray), depends on the cones in the retina.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
riverjop
Yea....probably forgave color eyesight for more advanced night vision.....that does make sense!

So if you had your druthers....which would you rather have "seeing in color" like now!
or awsome "night vision"?

Old 08-31-2004, 01:55 PM   #9
ShannanD25
I use chrome tweezers and they still go after my fingers. I think their up close eye sight is bad. Or my fingers just taste too good...or they love to draw blood...I guess I need a longer pair of tweezers.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
lostkauze
They can definately see shades... i've got one cricket eater who wont eat a cricket if its on its back--showing the white underbelly. I 'stun' some crickets for her so she gets her ego and determination up before she hunts alone. (dont ask long story... this girl is such a premadonna.)

Also, she goes after my fingers. I throw in some crickets, and she stares up at my hand in hunting position ready to jump... maybe because my fingers are moving?... I think its the Godzilla in them... blood drawing dangerous beasts ya know.

Michael

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!