Derek Roberts - Where are You ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
napavalleysnakes
Angry Derek Roberts - Where are You ?

This is not a bag guy post yet, but getting a little concerned with a transaction I recently had...
Closed out a deal for a pair of adult Ridleyi on the 3rd of the month.. Promised Derek I would rapidly send him the Postal Money Order (his only form of payment) for the pair, and did, on the 5th via Fed-Ex Priority Overnight.

Here's verification on that:

Welcome Stephen
February 12, 2003 18:13:30
Track Shipments
Detailed Results

Tracking Number 790198537754
Reference Number
Ship Date 02/05/2003
Delivered To Recipient
Delivery Location TUCSON AZ
Delivery Date/Time 02/06/2003 15:57
Signed For By 3785346
Service Type Standard Envelope
Tracking Options
Obtain a Signature Proof of Delivery
Email these tracking results to one or more recipients
Track More Shipments

Now I know one week is not a huge amount of time in this business, but here's the situation. Since delivery of the money order on my end, I've yet to hear back from Derek via phone or e-mail (Carrier Pigeon, etc.....)

I did check on the Board about Derek, and found that the only real complaints were his insistence on Money Orders, and that he was tough to get a hold of...

Here's a few of my e-mail messages to him that have, as of today, gone unanswered:

Subj: 1.1 Adult Ridleyi
Date: 2/8/03 3:12:25 PM Pacific Standard Time
To: Butterandcarmela

Derek - Money order should have made it there by now.. Drop me a line so we can set up a day to send those puppies out

Thanks, Steve
707-257-2068

Subj: 1.1 Ridleyi
Date: 2/10/03 4:12:21 PM Pacific Standard Time

Derek - Drop me an e-mail or give me a call.. Just wanted to make sure everything was still in order on the purchase. Hadn't heard from you since the payment was received, and have a customer in wait on the male of the pair I've purchased from you..

Thanks, Stephen Emerick
Napa Valley Snakes
707-257-2068

Also sent a couple from my work computer to him that I don't have access to via the home computer I'm on...

Now is it just me showing my age, or is it rather rude not to acknowledge someone for a week after collecting their money?

Another little tid-bit, I'm not the only one here in California awaiting a response (on money being sent for animals) from Derek.

I'm sure they'll post on this also once they see the post...

My biggest question to myself prior to posting this was perhaps Derek was out of town or had an emergency and could not respond to phone calls or e-mails (other party tried to call him, but reached a disconnected number). I've been told that this is not the case though by an associate living in Tucson..

So that's the situation Folks.... Let me know what you all think (as I know you will).
Getting a little discouraged on this purchase as a delay in shipping is something that can be understood.. Not responding is something I find hard to understand

Thanks, Stephen Emerick

Napa Valley Snakes

Old 02-12-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
BrianB
With any luck, it's only a case of procrastination. It could well be some kind of emergency has come up, as you've already mentioned.

One good thing: If the deal *does* go south, at least you used postal money orders, and you might be able to pursue a case based on mail fraud. The protection works both ways on those.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2003, 01:12 AM   #3
R Reptile Ranch
I'm sent Derek a MO too and still have not heard from him!!!

Hello,

I am the other person in CA that too sent a Money order to Derek. I sent the MO out via USPS to Derek on 2/3/03 and have sent several emails to him after that with no response. He should have received it now later then the 5th or 6th. Unfortunately for me I got a Western Union Money Order and not a US Postal MO. But in anycase I'm sure he received it seeing as he has not responded to Napa Valley who has proof he received it. Here are my emails to him, also is his email as to where I should send it to......

His email:

Subj: Re: Message about: Adult Cornsnakes for sale! Striped, Striped Snow, Blizzar...
Date: 2/3/2003 6:42:06 AM Pacific Standard Time
To: RReptileRanch

Hey,

I just read your other e-mail. Sorry. Here is my address:
Derek Roberts
9095 N. Oracle #2210
Tucson, AZ 85737

Let me know if you send out them money order so I can take the ad off. Thanks!

My emails after the money order was sent:

Subj: Adult Cornsnakes for sale....Striped, stripped snow, blizzard......
Date: 2/6/2003 9:50:53 PM Pacific Standard Time

Hi Derek,

Have you received the money order yet?

Thanks,
Rich and Nichol White

Subj: Re: Message about: Adult Cornsnakes for sale! Striped, Striped Snow, Blizzar...
Date: 2/7/2003 10:54:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

Hi Derek,

Just following up to see if you received my money order. You should have received it by now as I sent it out on Monday as promised. Please let me know as soon as possible as this is my second email to you and still have not had a response.

Thanks,
Nichol

Subj: Adult Corns We Purchased from you!
Date: 2/10/2003 9:30:36 PM Pacific Standard Time

It is now the 10th and my 3rd email to you and still no response. I need a response ASAP as I sent the money order to you over a week ago. Give me a call on either 760-247-3611 or 818-335-3794.

Rich

In my opinion, and I'm sure many of yours, this is a poor way to handle business.

Derek-----Either send me my snakes or refund my $400!!!

Old 02-13-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Casey Hulse
If I went to the trouble and expense of overnighting a payment, and the reciever did not act with the same urgency once they got the $$, they would need a very good excuse for any delay, or I would be very upset and offended.
I think this post has nothing to do with you "showing your age" God Luck!

Old 02-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Suncoast Herpetological
Was contact from Mr. Roberts timely prior to payment being sent?

Old 02-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #6
R Reptile Ranch
Derek replied to me the same day if not it was the very next morning. It was quite quick....

However, Derek just called me this morning and said that he was sorry for not replying to my 3 prior emails but offered no reason for the delay in response. I sent him a 4th email last night telling him a thread started on Fauna about him and if he wanted to keep his name good he needed to respond to everyone who was awaiting snakes from him. He called me the next morning (which was today). He says he is going to ship me my snakes Monday. Hopefully he holds true to his word. But Derek really needs to work on his communication with his customers in any future transactions he may have.

Old 02-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #7
napavalleysnakes
Wink

Derek also contacted me today (Thursday) with a promise to send the snakes Monday for Tuesday delivery...
Sounds like this will end on a happy note, agree communication could have been smoother though...

Thanks, Stephen Emerick
Napa Valley Snakes

Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Reptile Ranch
But Derek really needs to work on his communication with his customers in any future transactions he may have.
Almost three years later and he still can't pick up the phone.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=89070

Old 11-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
bigybigy
Thanks man. -Sean

Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
bigybigy
Some people I know in AZ are going to see if they can get ahold of him. They live close by and will pay him a visit....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!