Hog or Pearl? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #1
Flatfish1
Hog or Pearl?

A couple months ago, I posted a picture of a large cage that I used to keep birds in. It is large and quite tall. I asked for suggestions about what kind of reptile(s) to keep in it. (With appropriate re-modeling, of course!) I received lot's of good ideas. But the suggestion that resonated with me the most was locality boas, Longicauda and/or Sabogae. Anyway, I now have a new baby Longicauda who is several years away from the BIG enclosure!
So now I have turned my attention to Hog Island and Pearl Island boas. Here is my question: If you could only have one, which would YOU choose? Does one make a better pet? Is one more arboreal than the other as an adult?
If I had to choose only on appearance lone, I think I prefer Hogs. But I have only seen internet pictures.
Thank you for you ideas and information. I have learned much from people on this site. You have all been friendly and willing to help.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I don't have any experience with pearls but I have a pair of hog isle. They are fun little boas, I have climbing backgrounds in their enclosures and they use it every once in a while but do tend to spend most of their time in the hide or on the ground, like most common boas. Hogs tend to be little hissy babies but grow out of it, I like their rather distinct color phases (they can be light or go quite dark depending on temp/time of day).

Old 09-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
elena
As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But one thing to consider is temperament, and Pearls are usually really pissy with Hogs being much calmer.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
Flatfish1
Thanks for the input. With two replies so far I learned that Hogs are hissy and pearls are pissy! Pretty funny! I actually saw and held a Hog Island yearling today at a local reptile store. He was very beautiful. I was impressed. This is the first time I've seen one live and it took every ounce of willpower I have NOT to buy him. The guy at the store said he was captive bred, but when I asked if he knew the date he was born, he answered that they don't know that kind of stuff. I was a little taken aback by that response. Should something like that be a red flag, or am I making too much of it? I mean, can I trust that this is a pure hog, or something that just looks like one? I'm definitely not an expert, so I don't know for sure what a pure hog island boa should look like.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
elena
It's not a big deal that the seller doesn't know the exact birth date of the animal, but unless you know the lineage information of the animal, which reptile stores that resell animals they've bought at wholesale never do, don't consider it a pure locality animal. If you want a pure locality animal, buy it from an actual breeder who keeps records of the lineage of his or her animals.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
Flatfish1
That's what my gut was telling me. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
elena
I got my pure Hogs from Vin Russo at Cutting Edge. Maybe he has some available. He breeds Pearls too, but I'm sure they've sold out by now. Anyway, his email is vin@cuttingedgeherp.com

Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Agreed with Elena, I wouldn't consider it pure without history/lineage/breeder details. But that doesn't mean it won't be a wonderful snake to add to your collection. Hog isle was bred into Bi (common boa) quite a bit as people really liked the the Bi hypo locality cross version called sunset.

I got my male from Gus at Rio Bravo Reptiles (out of business) and my female from Chad Duggin (his website is down, so not sure if he's still in business). Vin Russo is a well known locality breeder and a good recommendation.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
Flatfish1
Thanks Elena and April. I agree that The snake might be a good pet. And, yes, I have studied some photos of Sunsets, And I suspect that the one I saw might be that. But I only want pure, documented animals for my own collection. (My collection stands at ONE for the moment!) It might not matter now, but in the future, I may have the opportunity to pair my snake(s) up for breeding. I understand color morphs being popular, But I'm not a fan of hybrids. I did check on Vin Russo's site and it looks like he is sold out of both. But I will see if I can get on a waiting list for next year. My Longicauda (My locality collection!) is from a Vin Russo line parent, So I'm familiar with him and the work he has done. I mean, he wrote the book! Again, thank you for your help and information. Let me know if either of you have any babies in the future.

Wayne

Old 09-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
elena
No problem, Wayne. I should have a litter of pure Argentines (Boa constrictor occidentalis) on the ground pretty soon.