Sad Friday - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Lucille
Sad Friday

Friday I will officially have an empty nest, the baby is leaving (going to Canada) to go see what life is all about

I know all parents go through this when their children become adults, but it is very hard for me. I want my sons to be independent and have their own lives, I just didn't realize the separation was going to be this difficult.....

Old 01-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
ms_terese
Lucille,

If there's one thing I've learned after waving goodbye to 3 children, it's that....

THEY COME BACK!!!

Just about the time you stop crying because you worry about/miss them.....start appreciating that the food you put in the refrigerator 3 hours ago is STILL THERE in case you actually want to eat it yourself....that you have hot water when you take a shower (and there are 400 fewer bottles of hair care products as well)....you notice the cordless phone is actually ON the charger, and CHARGED when you want to use it (not to mention available).... that there are no random pieces of clothing or towels lying around on the floor.....no phones ringing at obscene hours....that your gas tank is no longer mysteriously empty a day after you've filled it......

That's about the time that they realize the great big world of freedom isn't all it's cracked up to be.

He'll be back, and once he comes home, whether he stays for a month or 2 more years, it will be easier to let him go the second time.

By the way, when my youngest left (to California, because it was "so great" there), I found that banana splits helped me cope.

I've gained 12 lbs.

He'll be home on Friday.

It all works out.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
cthulhu77
Wow...my parents gave me a deadline to be out of the house...whether I liked it or not!
(could it have been all the snakes and the Ramones blasting away all the time..hmmm...)

Canada, huh? Going to study or just to see the sights???
greg

Old 01-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Lucille
Thanks Terese...
I know I'll cry Friday, but the thought that he will be back for a while someday is comforting.
You have a good way of seeing the world.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Lucille
Greg he is going to hang out with a friend and if he likes it there, go to college.
I would never give him a deadline to leave. He is such a good child- cuts my yard, is very careful to be quiet in the evening....Yes there's the messiness and everything else Terese mentioned, but he is a terrific kid.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
ms_terese
One more thing...

On a more serious note...I was always amazed at how much differently I saw my children once they left home. With each one, I got glimpses into them as "people" more so than I had when they were at home. At times it made me panic (omg, how could I have ever thought she was ready to live on her own????) and at other times it made me very proud (she fixed her own lamp!!!!)

I still recommend the banana splits for at least a week.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
Lucille
Actually to drown my sorrows, although banana splits sound yummy, I am going to do exercise and yardwork. One of my hobbies (besides reptiles of course) is gardening, I have around 70 rose bushes and they and the rest of the garden need attention, need to start the tomato and pepper seedlings- lots to kepp me occupied (but I'll still cry Friday).

Old 01-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
cthulhu77
Lucille !
If you get a chance, post a pic or two of your gardens here...always love seeing what other people are doing with their greenery ! It's hard out here in the desert, but I try...grew up with a mother who was a fantastic herbologist, and learned a love of growing things early on...

I love Canada...great fishing, good people...one of the kindest bunches I have ever been around ! Too damn cold for this old ectotherm, though!

greg

Old 01-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
Lucille
Will post pix in the spring when stuff is blooming. Lots of Texas stuff grows in the desert, email and if you like I can send seeds of some wildflowers.
Best place on the web for gardeners IMHO is www.gardenweb.com, been going there many years, have had plant trades and plant parties, great bunch of folks there.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #10
Seamus Haley
... You have seventy rose bushes?

Seventy rose bushes producing roses that sometimes need to be trimmed...

You use any pesticides/chemical fertilizers? Feel like chilling roses that are removed and then sending some fed-ex in bulk amounts? Got a pricing chart if I wanted to get a few pounds off you every couple weeks? Quality herp food right there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!