SO Angry Right Now! (Pet Raccoons Dumped) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Sirengarg
Angry SO Angry Right Now! (Pet Raccoons Dumped)

A local family found two baby raccoons about a year ago. They SAY they were orphaned and the mother was dead. I always seriously question that. Of course raccoons get killed all the time by cars, predators, etc. But so many people find a baby animal in the woods alone and they just figure, the mother would NEVER leave them alone. (Ever watch Bambi? The moms leave their kids alone throughout most that movie....its called nature).

So they had these adorable bundles of fluff a year now. Raised them as their pets. Tamed them. Kept them in their home all this time. I have no idea what caging they have since all my info is from a neighbor of their's. They prefer to stay anonymous, as what they did was illegal.

But a year has come and gone and guess what? They have come to realize they own two raccoons. Who are more work than they expected. So rather than going though the right outlets to rehome them....they RELEASED them into their backyard, in the middle of winter, in a heavily residential area. And some other neighbor is now feeding them.

I swear I am fuming over this. I HATE people like this. I did get in contact with a member here who wants them and has the permit. I gave her info to one of the neighbors who actually cares about these animals. I explained that if these raccoons approach people its gonna cause a problem. And worse yet, if they accidently scratch or bite someone, they have a death sentance.

I pray they person who contacted me can get them

Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
LauraB
Idiots never cease to amaze me! Personally, I would like to see charges filed against these morons.

Here's what happened in GA just last month ... I tend to believe these folks were also feeding/keeping these coons.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7021548.shtml

"A 9-month-old baby remains in critical condition at an Atlanta hospital after she was attacked by two raccoons.

Newton County Sheriff's deputies are investigating how the raccoons got inside the home and to the child, who was sleeping in a crib in the same room as her mother.

Lt. Tyrone Oliver says authorities arrived at the home at around 4 a.m. on Wednesday after the mother, Melissa Cannon, called 911 to say the baby had been attacked. The baby had been bitten severely on her face and other parts of her body.

Jennifer Mayerle of CBS Atlanta affiliate WGCL reports police say the animals tried to eat the girl alive.
Oliver says the raccoons were outside the family's house when deputies arrived, and that one of the animals was aggressive and was fatally shot by a deputy. The other raccoon was given to animal control to be tested for rabies.

Oliver says authorities are looking into whether the family was keeping the raccoons in the home as pets or the raccoons got into the house through a window's air conditioning panels. Charges could be pending against the parents."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!