Rat Rack Auto Watering Systems? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Bill & Amy
Rat Rack Auto Watering Systems?

I am getting ready to build my rat rack, I am currently keeping them in aquariums. I want to switch to an automatic watering system, I am going to order the bucket with float valve and black tubing with brass valves for each tub. My question is where do you place your valves in the tub? Do you just hang inside top of mesh wire? Any problems with chewing the tubing? Do you drill it in from the side? How far does it protrude into the tub? Pics would be a great help!! Are your weanlings able to reach the the valve? Same with food on top of mesh, are they able to reach it? As always, Thanks for any help!!

Old 12-21-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Junkyard
I amthe watering system you are building, I am also going to use the same. The valves are placed in the wire mesh, the valves are pretty long so the rats will easily reach them using a 6-7 inch deep tub. Only place the valve far enough that the plastic tubing does NOT get inside the tub. If you push it too far in than they will most definately chew up the tubing. The weanlings will be okay, I have seen them crawl along the wire mesh to get to food and the water valves.

I am building my rack on my time off during the holidays. I have seen racks with
The tubing can be place along the boards and have the valves "T" off into the tubs. Bob Applegate was giving me advice on these watering systems, he has had problems with the tubing from these rodent rack companies becoming brittle quickly and not thick enough. He informed me that he has better luck getting his tubing and supplies hardware stores in the garden area. When I finally get mine set up I will post pics. Which hopefully will be this weekend, but most likely next week.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!