Mice For Cats - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #21
Katie.Shinkle

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2016, 02:50 AM   #22
Pasodama
Very cute!
Some nice looking mice (and nice genetics) you have picked up.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 AM   #23
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
Very cute!
Some nice looking mice (and nice genetics) you have picked up.

Thanks! Going to be fun working with them.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:34 AM   #24
Katie.Shinkle
Update:

Culled two from one of my litters, and tried offering the freshly killed (4 days old) mice to the cats.

Lightbulb completely ignored them. He'll take the most work. He's lived as an inside cat the majority of his life (only time he was outside was a short time after he was born, then I got him, and he's been inside since).

Paperclip played with hers, a lot. Tossed it around. She attempted to eat it, but I think they chewing was a bit much for her. Will need to work her up to them, to get her jaw muscles used to it.

Boots played with hers, then finally started chewing. Took her a bit, but she ate one, then ate the other. Once she figured it out, she was good to go. The chewing sound is also horrifying.

I have a few in the freezer I'm going to offer tomorrow. May blend them up to hopefully get Lightbulb to at least try it, and so Paperclip can eat it without worrying about chewing too much.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #25
Katie.Shinkle
Oh, I'd like to add that none of my cats are outdoor cats. The two girls were before I got them. Paperclip will go outside, but only while on a harness and leash.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #26
Katie.Shinkle
Wanted to update this, for those that are interested!

I've gotten two of my cats to eat mice now. They love them, and I've noticed (even with only occasional feeding, as my production isn't stable enough to completely switch them over yet) a significant increase in energy, especially for my three legged girl, Paperclip. I'm not sure on her age, but I've had her for going on 6 years now (already an adult when I found her). She ate a few 6 day old mice last night, and was running and playing through the apartment! It's pretty rare to see her actually play with the other cats. Loved seeing the boost of energy. Boots, who is around 6 years old, loves her mice as well, and is considerably more energetic after eating them.

My production is finally starting to ramp up. In the last two days, I've had 4 litters born, and around 44 pinkies all together. That's not counting the older litters I have growing up to breed. I have a bunch of pregnant does that should have their litters in the next 1 to 2 weeks. I'm breeding for feeders, as well as pet/show quality mice (I got a bit hooked...). My feeder lines aren't fully established yet, so the cats are getting culls from my pet/show lines at the moment. I find it a bit easier to feed them mice that are about a week old, instead of adults. They don't toss them around as much, and I have to cut open adults to get them eating. Plus it takes quite a bit longer for them to eat adults, than a few week-old babies.

Still no luck getting my other cat, Lightbulb, to touch the mice. Will probably have to cut some pinkies up and mix them with wet food to get him started.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #27
hupababy_83
I know this is a year old thread, but is there an update? very intriguing!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!