Camera recommendation? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment

Notices

Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical and practical details of how to take good pictures and videos, as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Celtic Constrictors
Question Camera recommendation?

I am a compete camera novice. My iPhone just won't cut it anymore. Can anyone suggest a good camera for photos of my critters? I purchased a light tent and all that jazz. I just need a more professional look to assist with sales.

Any input is appreciated.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
eminart
Lenses are more important than camera bodies. Any modern DSLR camera will make great photos, if you use it correctly. Obviously some are better than others, but unless you're a professional and opting for a $1500+ full frame camera, you won't be able to tell the difference. The best advice I have is to stick to either canon or nikon, not because they're any better than some of the others, but because there are more second party lenses available for them. Pick out a camera body, then get a good prime lens - something like a 50mm.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
eminart
On lenses, another good option, although more expensive, is to go with a "macro" lens like the Tamron 90mm or Tokina 100mm.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Celtic Constrictors
That's a phenomenal help. I didn't even know where to start. So I think I can buy the kit at Sam's club with the Nikon camera and I'll find a quality lens.

Much obliged, Scott!

Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Great advice above. As a newbie to DSLR, I've been quite happy with my Pentax and that's without getting any fancy lenses yet besides what it came with. I went with that brand over a Canon or Nikon as it seemed comparable from the forums I read and pricing was a tad easier on the wallet.

I found this site to be of great help when I was shopping:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

good luck!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Celtic Constrictors
Thanks April. That's the site I was looking at. I found that link on a previous similar thread from a year or more ago. Wasn't sure if the camera technology was any different from waaaaayyyy back in 2013.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
NocturnalNature
As already mentioned, most DSLR bodies on the market will outperform all the needs an amateur photographer might have. A very good way to get a great deal on a used camera is to visit one of the reputable Canon/Nikon forums and search the classifieds. Many photographers will upgrade each time a newer model comes out which means there are typically a large number of lightly used, great condition, bodies available.
To reiterate what another poster said, spend your money on quality lenses if you want to truly take your photography to the next level. If your finances allow, try to stick with prime lenses instead of zoom lenses since they usually offer better image quality. My main lens is a 100mm Macro which allows for a very wide range of use. It cover 95% of my needs in regards to field herping, photos for ads, and general portraits.
Myself, I like the layout and operations of the Canon D series. Great track record, readily available in the used market, wide range of lenses for every budget, and a huge aftermarket for accessories.
If you find yourself perusing the classifieds, keep an eye out for the 40D or 50D. Both great units that can usually be had for a very fair price.
Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Celtic Constrictors
I will definitely take heed of your advice about the used cameras Jackie.

You guys are all so helpful.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
eminart
B&H also has a large used and refurbished section. There's a link to the used dept. on their front page.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
anolelover
I have an amazing camera, kinda expensive, but it's a Pentax K-50.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!