ASF Production - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
TripleMoonsExotic
ASF Production

I guess I've had my original 3 trios since January (they were virgins when I received them)...The past 2 months I've noticed a serious decline in their production. Each trio was pumping out 30-40 babies a month, and now I'm getting 5-10. Do I need to swap out for younger ones already?

I did move them into the new reptile room about 2 months ago. I changed their feed about that time too because rodent block has become too expensive. The new room is kept at 80-83 degrees. Could any of these be factors as opposed to they're just "old"?

I have two younger trios that I'm just waiting to start breeding, but I've seen no action yet from them either.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Digby Rigby
Specifics

The temperature might be a little high. Also you say you changed their feed to something else cheaper. What is the fat and protein content of what you were feeding before and now. We need to know the exact changes you made before we can give definitive answers to your questions.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Specializing in bulk sales of Blaptica dubia to the trade and large collections

Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
I couldn't tell you what the fat/protein content is on the previous food (I don't use it anymore), but it was your standard Rodent lab block that I used to be able to purchase in bulk directly from the supplier (they now require a $1,000 order to get wholesale prices, and I have no where to store that amount of product). I also can't tell you the fat content of the new food (swine block) because I don't keep the bags...But it is 20% protein, I made sure of that before switching.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Cat_72
Hm....20% protein sounds kind of high for a swine feed....I believe for the most part, even the starter and grower rations usually don't go higher than 16%. But then, I believe that's as high of a protein content as the Mazuri rodent block goes. Maybe its a custom mix?

I would be a bit concerned using a swine feed for a couple of reasons though...the vast majority of them are medicated, and also have a high copper content.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
I wonder... and i wont know for awhile on mine if it makes a difference for production or not. Theyve only just had their second litters, But does adding cuttlebone to the diet seem to help any? I feed seed mix and rodent block, and they seem to do well on both *prefering the seed over the block, until theres no more seed left*

But i also add in a new cuttlebone when i think theyve had enough of the one i left in there previously. They seem to love them, and maybe its just me being REALLY new to keeping these guys, but i think the babies are doing better than the last batch because of the added calcium. *not that the last batch did bad or anything* these ones just seem... better.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
I wonder... and i wont know for awhile on mine if it makes a difference for production or not. Theyve only just had their second litters, But does adding cuttlebone to the diet seem to help any? I feed seed mix and rodent block, and they seem to do well on both *prefering the seed over the block, until theres no more seed left*

But i also add in a new cuttlebone when i think theyve had enough of the one i left in there previously. They seem to love them, and maybe its just me being REALLY new to keeping these guys, but i think the babies are doing better than the last batch because of the added calcium. *not that the last batch did bad or anything* these ones just seem... better.
I honestly can't tell you about the cuttlebone....I know mine will gladly chew on anything I give them though. If it seems to be working.....why not?

I do know the seed mix added to the regular ration seems to make a difference though. I keep the Mazuri blocks available all the time, and give them a small scoop of the seeds each day as well, more as a "supplement" sort of thing than a steady ration, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Took me a while to remember what kind of rat food I used to use, but I finally remember (baby brain) and it was Harlan-Teklad 19% protein.

Looked it up online...And they're actually Producer's Pride Range Cubes...Don't have any idea where I got swine block from...I know before I bought them I looked online for all the ingredients and what not, but now I can't find it.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Cat_72
Just a quick search gives me this:

Producers Pride Range Cubes

Protein and energy supplement to balance the deficiencies of hay or pasture. Designed for cattle on pasture or hay over 1 year of age. Provides nutritional supplementation to increase performance on grass, range or hay. Convenient cube form for easy feeding in bunks or on the ground.

Doesn't look like it's meant to be a sole ration, for cattle anyway...I'll have to look further for actual content.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Yes, and I never said that was all the little munchkins get. While the Range Cubes are offered at all times, they get small scoop of rabbit pellets and dried fruit or seeds every other day. Plus when I have surplus chopped fresh veggies they get those...I've had a lot of zucchini lately from my mum planting too many (which reminds me, need to give them some!)!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Yes, and I never said that was all the little munchkins get. While the Range Cubes are offered at all times, they get small scoop of rabbit pellets and dried fruit or seeds every other day. Plus when I have surplus chopped fresh veggies they get those...I've had a lot of zucchini lately from my mum planting too many (which reminds me, need to give them some!)!
ive thought about adding in fresh fruits and veggies myself actually.
I just need to figure out what is OK and what most like.

Can they take pretty much everything the same as mice and rats? * i know some animals have a harder time digesting certain veggies than others, and some are just plain bad*

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!