UVB and egg production? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
indigoman
UVB and egg production?

Had a thought just curious as to what the majority thought.

I know most snakes can be raised and reproduce successfully in total dark. Generally snakes get a vitamin rich diet with the consumption of entire animals as prey, and not needing the light for Vitamin D utilization as most other reptiles do.

My question is this. I have regular lights in my cages as well as heating sources at one end and at the other I have the fluorescent light with older vita light bubbles in place. I have noticed that they do favor the vita light over the other. My smaller female was the only one to date to lay eggs and I was wondering if its a need for light in production of the necessary delivery chemical requirements. I have three very large females which are still very gravid and off food fore many months that have not laid. The smaller snake might of met her required light needs before the rest and delivered? Just food for thought?

You must admit they are a extremely dark colored snake for maximum light and heat consumption when they don't really like the extreme heat, makes you wonder.

I was considering a little study next year with two new full spectrum female cages and two with out?

Please let me know if these snakes have been identified to successfully reproduce consistently without full spectrum light. Maybe this has been of previous discussion and the results are in.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
thesnakeman
Wonderful idea! I have wondered the same thing! Another person you might contact about this is Robert Seib at www.easternindigo.com I think. Or through the "Breeder" section of www.indigosnakes.com He and I have talked about this issue, and we both suppliment our adults with uv lighting. I also take my animals outside as freaquently as possible to soak up real sunlight. But as far as I know, the jury is still out on this subject. Although, I suspect that some day we will discover that uva, and or uvb is nessecary on some level.
T.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
thesnakeman
Woops,...I forgot,....
Scroll down to the thread entitled, "Sniff your snake". It is a related thread, and needs some attention. Check it out.
T.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
epidemic
UV, oogenesis and oviposition

I too prefer to provide my Drys with quality UV light and I once maintained several in outdoor enclosures, but have since stopped, due to fire ant infestations and thieves, the latter of which I would no longer harbor concerns about, as I now have two very large dogs to keep such in check. However, I have noticed a great increase in the fire ant population within my area and I have seen first hand what they can do to indigos and their nests in the wild.
I am unaware of any studies targeting the impact UV has upon oogenesis and oviposition, but I do know that indigos love to bask. As you mentioned, their coloration makes for the easy absorption of heat from the sun, though they do not tolerate heat well. I have witnessed eastern indigos, in South Dade Co. out basking in February, when the temperatures were in the mid 40’s. While the ambient air temperatures are low you will find that areas, where sunlight penetrates the forest canopy, can reach temperatures up to 90*F on the surface and indigos can often be found in such areas. It is not unusual to find an indigo poking its head out from beneath a burrow or stump, just far enough to drench it in sunlight on cooler days. I believe the coloration helps the snakes to reach optimum temperatures for activity sooner, since they are active year round and their high metabolism requires them to forage frequently, even when the weather turns cold.
As for UV and its effect upon oogenesis and oviposition; well, as has already been mentioned, the jury is still out on that one, as even the most experienced Dry breeders have incurred both success and failure using high quality UV light within enclosures and keeping their charges within the confines of darkened tubs. Personally, I believe quality lighting and ample basking opportunities are good for the mental well being of my Drys, so I feel obligated to provide such.
Also, I have spoken with a few breeders about the possibility of running a simple blood chem. to try and determine what factors may lie within such, to determine whether there is something we can foresee regarding egg binding among gravid females. Perhaps such could also take into account D3 levels as well…

Best regards,

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!