Mountain Horned Dragon Laid Eggs! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
snakemum
Mountain Horned Dragon Laid Eggs!

A friend of mine bought a female mountain horned dragon at a pet store....brought it home and within 24 hours she laid 9 eggs! The pet store told her that the MHD was about 9 months old....but wouldn't she have to be older to lay eggs? She is about 8 inches from nose to the end of her tail...Any way....I've read as much as I can to help my friend out with the eggs....I'm more into reptiles than she is....her kids wanted the MHD....Can anyone give me some advice about the eggs? I know they may not be viable....but we thought we'd try to incubate the eggs anyway...you never know! Right now I have the eggs in a plastic container on vermiculite...and have them at about 70 degrees F.....I thought they would have to be incubated at a higher temp, but from what I've read, it's better to keep them at a lower temp?? Any advice would be great! Also, what size UVB bulb should be used for MHD? The pet store sold my friend 2 of the reptisun 2 bulbs....but I thought maybe 7 or 10 would be better?? They are neat little reptiles...but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
sschind
A couple of things. First off, I would seriously doubt that the dragon are CBB so the pet store would have no clue as to how old it is. A few people have bred them, or more specifically a few people have successfully hatched eggs from a WC female so I suppose there is a slim chance that the babies were at least CH and the store knows the age. I wouldn't put any money on it though.

Second, I know that the temps for incubation are lower than one might think. 70 is not to low as far as I know.

Check out this site.

http://www.froggieb.com/MHDHome.html

Marcia was the first, or at least one of the first, to breed these animals and publish the results.

You should be able to find what you need there.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
sschind
I forgot to add. I haven't been there in a while but the Kingsnake.com forums had several people who were seriously into these guys. You should be able to find some help over there.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
John E Dove
If you have checked out Marcia Bradley's (aka FroggieB) website you have seen the best of the best IMO. http://www.froggieb.com/MHDCaresheet.html
I'm sure if you were to email her through that site she would be happy to help in any way she can.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
snakemum
Thanks for the help! I was on Marcia's site and it is very helpful...I'll check out the kingsnake forum too. :0)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!