Ball pythons and well water ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
killswitch33
Ball pythons and well water ?

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but I had a question that I'm hoping people can help me out with!

I recently purchased a new house which runs on well water and I will be moving in in the next few weeks. When I purchased the house I had to do a water test and the test came back high on nitrates (Acceptable level is 10PPM mine came back at 13 PPM) After extensive research the only thing I can find is that pregnant women and young children should not drink in excess anything over 10 PPM.

Any thoughts if this will be okay for my ball pythons? I figured its very borderline to the 10 PPM and my first thought is I shouldn't worry however Id rather be safe than sorry. If anyone has any experience with this or thoughts please share!

Thanks for your time!

Old 01-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Dbz4246
Your fine, I have well water as well. The only adverse effect I'd in the water bowls, you will see lots of calcium lines after awhile

Old 01-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
bcr229
Even though I'm on city water it's hard as a rock so I have a softener, which gives it an off taste. I run all of the drinking water for the family and two German shepherds through a Big Berkey water filter. They're not very expensive considering how long they last - mine is almost 20 years old and still works.

If you don't have hundreds of snakes then having enough filtered water on hand every day shouldn't be a problem. Also you may want to use filtered water for yourself and your other pets.

Is there any other filtration system in place, like for sediment?

Old 01-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
killswitch33
I installed a reverse osmosis under sink system for drinking water up stairs. Snakes will be downstairs I also have 3 German shepherds. Just curious if I should be worried about the 3 ppm that the water was over for nitrates. Thanks for the input guys!

Old 01-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
killswitch33
I have a tub sink downstairs where I will fill water and clean snake cages.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
killswitch33
And no other filtration systems in place

Old 01-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch33 View Post
Just curious if I should be worried about the 3 ppm that the water was over for nitrates.
Your earlier post seemed to indicate that you felt the difference was inconsequential...
Consider this.
10 ppm is a miniscule amount, when one actually thinks about it; and that is considered the maximum acceptable level for nitrates. 13 ppm, while it seems a small difference, represents a 30% increase. That doesn't seem quite so small.
Some information:
https://safewater.zendesk.com/hc/en-...ions/202346267

Old 01-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
killswitch33
I've read where people have readings of 40 or 50 ppm which is 30 or 40 ppm over the allowable so it seemed miniscule compared to that but yes I realise it's a 30 % increase. My big question is weather or not nitrates are harmful to snakes. Or if anyone has experience or input with this.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
bcr229
Quote:
I installed a reverse osmosis under sink system for drinking water up stairs. Snakes will be downstairs I also have 3 German shepherds. Just curious if I should be worried about the 3 ppm that the water was over for nitrates. Thanks for the input guys!
I wouldn't worry about it for washing. For drinking you could always fill water bottles upstairs to top off their bowls.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
Dbz4246
Quote:
My big question is weather or not nitrates are harmful to snakes. Or if anyone has experience or input with this.
As I have stated before, from experience, no. I have used well water for 6 years now and no adverse effect on adult ball pythons, or babies. If YOU feel it's a problem, then by all means filter it, or buy jugs of water.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!