hybernation?! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 AM   #11
ladyserpent7
yah..she LOOKS good in the picture...she shouldnt be in brumation, but you never know..mine stopped eating once for four months, and i thought it couldve been because of brumation...even though shes captive bred and it was hot out...so it could well be shes just not used to eating, mice could carry disease though...just make sure the mice you feed her look healthy..one time i fed giselle a "bad" mouse and she stopped eating for two months..so just make sure theyre walking around and not tired looking. but i would suggest maybe try taking her to the vet just to see whats up..cuz its been happening a lot to your snake.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
antisocial
There is no such thing as a "bad" mouse so long as it is alive and even thawed frozen mice are not a threat to your snakes. Coldblooded and warmblooded animals are not able to share diseases, sicknesses, viruses, or whatever your concern might be. The only major concerns you will have are mites, or your snake being bitten by the feeder and it becoming infected. Both problems can easily be addressed though, get your feeders from a good clean reliable source and check them for mites anyway. Keep your cage clean, and change your substrate often!!! Prekill your feeders, or at least stun them. Hognose don't strangle their food like many of colubrids do, mice will fight tooth and nail to the death so do your hog a favor and save him or her the struggle of trying to swallow a live mouse. If yoursnake does get bit or scratched badly clean it off and keep an eye on it. Healthy animals will heal just fine on their own.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
ladyserpent7
hm..im gonna have to disagree w/ that a bit...if a mouse is barely able to move and very sickly looking..i personally wouldnt feed it to my snake, ..thats just me.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
Nyoka77
finally...healthy

Well, great news...
Nyoka has been eating everyweek.
This is the 4th week in a row
I'm able to watch and all...shes getting big too!
she takes about 3 to 4 days to digest completely by sleeping most of the time...then starting all over. I'm beginning to get used to her daily rituals

However, now to the next "dilemma"
I put the live fuzzy in her cage and she attacks it almost right away. I'm afraid that I'm training her to be aggressive in her cage. Next time I put my hand in to pick her up, could she think I'm food?!
I don't want to handle her before she eats by putting her in a deli cup etc.to eat since shes been so picky and gets stressed out easily.
Any thoughts?
I'll put a new picture up soon

Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 AM   #15
ladyserpent7
well..sometimes that could propose a problem..has she hissed at you yet when you put your hand in...i know you feel that since you finally got her to eat you dont wanna mess that up in any way..but i still think you should get her into the habit of eating somewhere other than her tank...and besides..maybe the substrate she could digest could harm her....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!