shedding fast - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
ladyserpent7
shedding fast

i cant believe how fast giselle's been shedding..just a couple months ago she shed..and today i looked at her..and shes getting ready to shed again!!! ...oohh. my baby must be gettin big ..yaaay

Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
unidaddy
Do I remember something you posted saying that Monday was feeding day? Do you feed Giselle once a week? My hognose eats every 4 days and is on large pinks, I wonder if he's going to shed as frequently as that. It's amazing to me how intense and fresh they look as they come out of the old skin. I would benefit from a good shed about now.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Razaiel
My Noodle shed today - and I watched pretty much the whole process - really cool, like somebody taking a tight stocking off slowly. It was a complete shed with eyecaps attached My other snakes are a BP and a Boa - so they only ever seem to do it at night and leave a scrunched up mess in the corner of the hide :/

Old 06-27-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
ladyserpent7
yah, i only feed giselle once a week..like a medium sized fuzzy usually...nothing smaller than that though..i know shes eaten a hopper before, but i usually never take the chance w/ that..unless i prekill it..cuz i know for sure they can bite her....i love how she looks when she just sheds...her bottom is sooo shiny...like i just put oil on it or something......but as many times as she shed..ive never gotten a chance to actually see her do it....i slept at 3am ..and woke up about 9...well each day differs but im talking about this last recent one....and she had already shed..so im guessing she does it between that time usually...maybe one day ill get to see her do it...i wish...but shes ALWAYS shed complete skin..which i love because i keep it.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
unidaddy
With a 9 month-old I can imagine why you were up until 3am, but who knows?

You feed her (giselle) live? How does she manage with it? I used to feed a corn snake live mice. I remember one feeding with him that was a little nerve wracking because he was getting bitten. He squashed the sucker and chowed down anyway, but he took a lickin'. I'm curious how hoggies (non-constrictors) do with the kill process. I haven't had to feed Wilbur anything but f/t large pinks, but would love to know how they do with rodents in case I need to get him over an eating strike. Do you have pics of the feeding process? I took a cool series of Wilbur sucking down two pinkies...you can actually see both lumps.

--Bob

Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
unidaddy
I'm realizing from your last post (that I didn't read closely enough) that you only tried a hopper and usually feed her f/t....sorry.....my bad.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:43 AM   #7
ladyserpent7
no...you were right the first time...i always feed her live...i just usually feed her fuzzies..and once in a while ill feed her a hopper....uggh..i hate feeding her f/t mice....she doesnt like it either...i feel like i should feed her live so she can still keep her predator hunting skills..haha..like shes gonna need them...but i always look at the mice i bring her....i make sure their eyes are still mostly closed..and i ALWAYS watch her eat..even if its the smallest mouse...if i have to bring a big one..and i see that its eyes are wide open and its jumping aroung..i usually wont take my chance and just kill it before i give it to her...that way im sure its of no harm to her..ive only had about 2 bad experiences...but she was never harmed..it just freaked me out....and i got so scared that i shook her until she let go of the mouse..it was a very fiesty hopper...then i killed it and gave it back to her...and she was happy to take it

Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
ladyserpent7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razaiel
My Noodle shed today - and I watched pretty much the whole process - really cool, like somebody taking a tight stocking off slowly. It was a complete shed with eyecaps attached My other snakes are a BP and a Boa - so they only ever seem to do it at night and leave a scrunched up mess in the corner of the hide :/

hmm...exactly what time did she shed that you got lucky to see it.....just wondering..

Old 06-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Razaiel
It was somewhere between 3 and 4 in the afternoon - I guess they would do it during their normal waking hours - like my BP normally does it during her normal waking hours (night).

I was so excited I called my daughter to watch too - hubby couldn't understand what all the fuss was about

Old 06-30-2006, 12:59 AM   #10
ladyserpent7
haha..dont worry...hell get there

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!