hybernation?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Nyoka77
hybernation?!

Hi everyone!
Has anyone's hog ever gone into a "hybernation" phase?
Ever since Nyoka ate on wednesday, shes been inside her rock cave sleeping! Thats about 4 days she hasn't been crawling around! She came out to go to the bathroom and then went right back in. I made sure she was still breathing today..i was worried!
Maybe shes growing!?

Old 07-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
rickyduckworth
i brumate (hibernation is slightly different, brumation is what snakes do, it's similar but they will come out on warm days and aren't totally inactive) my venomous snakes (local venomous, it gets below freezing in the winter here so that's natural for them) every year........some will do fine and feed all winter if i didn't, some would quit eating and eventually starve due to their metabolism staying active....when they get read, i drop the temps and keep it below 55 degrees where they are and they'll do fine all winter without food as long as i keep water in there.....they aren't totally "out of it" but aren't very active at all......

i've seen some CB snakes seem to prepare for brumation even though they've never experienced it......i wouldn't worry about what you're seeing, that's just him being a snake, but if he refuses to feed for over a month and he isn't sick, you may wanna let him try and brumate if you can.....if not, keep the temps as low as you can (some can't drop them low enough to validate not feeding them) and keep offering food every other week, give him plenty of water and just keep an eye on him.....my copperhead didn't eat for 8 months and now eats like a pig, so they can go without food for a LONG time...she's perfectly fine now.......

Old 07-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Wilomn
Most likely the feeding happened to coincide with an upcoming shed cycle. Most likely it will be blue in the next few days, then clear up, then shed and be ready to eat again.

I keep and breed hogs and now is not the time for sleeping.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Nyoka77
hmm ok thanks...
the thing is, she just shed about 3 or 4 weeks ago...
or maybe since she doesnt eat much (only twice in 5 months) it takes her a while to digest?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
rickyduckworth
is this a WC or CB animal?

sounds like it could be parasitic or related to sickness.......doesn't sound like a healthy snake........sounds like a dose of panacur may help........

Old 08-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
Nyoka77
Not sure what you mean by that... sorry...shes a western hognose, still a baby
Maybe I should take her to a vet? how do they pick up parasites..can they get them from the mice they eat?
i'm worried

Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
Wilomn
Don't panic. I doubt you've got parasites. Can you post a pic of your snake?

Old 08-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Nyoka77
sure...here she is...
i took this about week ago
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Nyoka77
she came out last night to sleep by her water bowl and dispose the rest of the mouse..shes back hiding again today

Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Wilomn
She looks fine fat and healthy there. Got one from today?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!