Off-site storage services? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > New or Updated Websites and Web Resources

Notices

New or Updated Websites and Web Resources General notices about a new website or a newly found one worthy of note. You can introduce your new website here as well.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
monkeywrench133
Off-site storage services?

I know we've got some tech-savvy people on here and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for off-site storage services? Where you back your data up onto their storage via the internet. I'm looking at Carbonite right now, but was wondering if there are any other, better, options out there?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Jim O
It depends how much storage you need. You can buy a cheap web hosting plan for a few dollars a month and it will come with anywhere from 300 megabytes to 500 gigabytes or more. Then you just use their server for your daily backups. Most of those plans include a daily backup also so your data is protected in case their hard drives fail.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
WebSlave
When I found this site, I could not (and still can't!) believe what they are offering is for real -> http://www.hostmonster.com/hosting-features.htm

Quote:
1,500 Gigabytes of Hosting Space
Host UNLIMITED Domains!!
Unlimited Pop/Imap Email Accounts
15,000 Gigs of Transfer
All for just $7 a month? If someone were to actually use that much bandwidth per month it would COST the data center many times that monthly figure.

Hell, I may just get an account and set up all the photos and videos on my sites to be hosted there. I can put one heck of a lot of stuff into 1.5 terrabytes of disk storage!

Possibly there is some fine print somewhere on the site that I just didn't see, however.....

Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Gary O
Deals like that have fine print like. this% of SPU usage allowed. If you go over then you will be shut down. Over selling is done a lot.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
monkeywrench133
Right now I'm looking at about 20 gigs total. I think I might go both routes. Carbonite is $50 a year and my hosting service charges $110/year for 100 gigs, so $160 a year total doesn't seem unreasonable.

How do you upload just files to the hosting server though? Is there any trick to it?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
Right now I'm looking at about 20 gigs total. I think I might go both routes. Carbonite is $50 a year and my hosting service charges $110/year for 100 gigs, so $160 a year total doesn't seem unreasonable.

How do you upload just files to the hosting server though? Is there any trick to it?
You just need a FTP utility. I use both WS_FTP and CuteFTP.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Jim O
I also use CuteFTP Pro. Very intuitive interface and supports all protocols.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
akaangela
Well it is not online but I just bought a 500 GB external hard drive and formatted if for both mac and pc for only $99. I was very happy when I learned that I could use the partitions and back up both sides of my computer.