Ebay - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
WebSlave
Angry Ebay

I've bought a LOT of stuff off of Ebay over the years, but I swear that now they might just as well rename the site as "Chinabay". The place has been literally overrun with Chinese sellers. Most of then will fake their location by stating they are shipping out of some place in California, but it seems to me that there is just a single warehouse in a location there that they are all selling out of. And I have a real strong suspicion that most of their positive feedback is just one person using MANY accounts passing feedback among the accounts.

I've been looking at a magnetic lifting device for my shop crane, and I happened to ask a couple of the sellers about the physical dimensions of the magnet. Every one of the ads are exactly the same, but heck, I didn't even think that ALL of them might be trying to sell one single lonely item sitting at a warehouse that showed up on some sort of inventory listing. So, all of a sudden, they are all sold out. Every one of them who responded. Now what are the chances? And a couple who "responded" it was obvious they could not understand English and just pressed a button, ANY button, as a response. And DON'T call me "Dear"!

I recently bought some hole saw bits I needed for a job I want to do, and I ordered it specifically from an account that stated they were located in Bushell, FL. I figured I would get it pretty quick, since they aren't more than a 3 hour drive from my house. But it took over a week to show up, and the tracking info stated that it had been shipped out of, you guessed it, California. When I asked them why it was taking so long to get the item to me from Bushnell, they suddenly changed their location info on their Chinabay account to California.

I've got nothing against Chinese, but liars and shifty acting companies, yeah, I don't like them much at all.

I've already stopped dealing with Amazon a while back, because they pissed me off, so I guess I'm going to run out of places to buy from at this rate.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
WebSlave
Now this is just WRONG!

You wouldn't think it could get much more American than the Jeep brand, but guess what?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1708...se-jeep-brand/

Of course, Jeep is owned by Fiat in Italy, so I guess this is nothing more than adding insult to injury.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
Roscoe09
Yeah, Fiat bought Chrysler and Chrysler owned Jeep. You can always stick with Chevy and Ford. But you know what they say about Ford (Found On Road Dead).
I totally agree with the "Chinabay." Order something and the next month open the box and say "Oh, I forget that I ordered this." I rarely ever order from Amazon or eBay.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
WebSlave
So I was looking through Ebay looking for some lifting magnets to use with my shop crane, and the ads there are just flooded with Chinese sellers. Some stating they are shipping from China, and others saying they are shipping all from the same city in California, but they registered their Ebay accounts out of China. Most of them had a notable slew of awful ratings from previous customers, so I just kept looking. Finally found a company in Miami, that talked about how their magnets were tested and certified and were their own brand name, and their Ebay rating was a solid 100%. Yes, they were significantly more expensive than the Chinese products (which looked identical, btw), but I felt this would likely be the best choice to make. Hey, it WAS possible they weren't lying to me, WASN'T it?

Well, they came in, and best I can tell, they are the same identical things the Chinese are selling on Ebay. They did come with a certificate, however, so I guess I paid extra for them to open the wood shipping box and insert that piece of paper. Not sure if I actually got anything substantially better than the cheaper selling Chinese products I was looking at. Matter of fact, I rather doubt I did. But not worth the hassle and expense of sending them back for a refund.

Not really a lesson "learned" as it is a lesson "reinforced", I suppose. If it quacks like a duck.........

Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
JColt
When China just started to become prevalent on Ebay I had ordered a IMAC replacement screen to replace for a customer. I did not notice it was a Chinese shipment till next day. Luckily customer was happy with price and willing to wait. I double check every time now.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
WebSlave
I'm pretty sure that the greater majority of the positive feedback ratings for many of these Chinese sellers are just all within the same small group of people just creating tons of fake accounts and trading ratings among themselves. Seems kind of odd that the bad ratings are REALLY bad, and seem to contrast so sharply with the good ratings.

Not to say I don't buy from them anyway, depending on what I am looking for, but I do try to avoid the obvious worst of the rated sellers.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
Drudog21
I recently purchased an aquarium on Letgo with a bunch of extra aquarium pumps, etc. I only wanted the aquarium for Leos and was able to net a profit selling all the equipment on eBay. I never ship outside the US and I selected that again when I sold everything. However, someone from St. Petersburg, Russia was able to bid on one of the pumps. Its a 120V pump. I'm pretty sure they have 240V in Russia. She sent a message saying there was no shipping option to Russia. I replied, "I know, I don't want to ship it outside the US!" Why did you even bid on it! It won't even work. So I checked out the USPS International shipping options and it's actually not that hard. So I sent her a quote and she refused the pay the shipping costs ($21) vice the price of the pump ($0.99). Duh!! So I had to cancel the order to make sure eBay didn't charge me for selling the item when I really didn't. I was still able to turn a nice profit using Letgo and eBay, but I figured I would share my recent fun with ecommerce!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
bcr229
I'd never heard of Letgo until you mentioned it. I will have to give it a try now that I have a Smartphone.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
Drudog21
It's basically a Craiglist app - local pickup only stuff. The search is pretty good and you can expand the search to a pretty broad area if you don't mind driving a bit to get a good deal on something that would be too expensive to ship. It's good for stuff that you would normally just throw away but might still have some value. There are a bunch of aquariums and terrariums so I was able to get a good deal on the 20L aquarium. Most come with equiment, cage furniture, etc. so it's definitely cheaper than buying new if you don't mind negotiating, driving, paying cash and cleaning up the stuff you get.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post

I've already stopped dealing with Amazon a while back
Sometimes, these days, it is difficult to know who exactly one is dealing with. I bought a cart (the Sunnersta, really a handy little cart) recently directly from Ikea and received it today from Amazon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!