Female bci - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
breakdown
Female bci

My female is pretty young I think but growing fast I've had her since feb and she was 21in now shes over 36in. anyways how long does it take on average for a bci to reach 7 or 8ft?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
That's not a question that can be accurately answered in reality, as you will obtain different growth rates, even among litter mates, and different locality.

But as an "Average", I have found it like this for Colombians...

Born 12-24 inches
2-3 1/2 ft year one
3-4 1/2 ft year 2
5-7 ft year 3, at which point the length starts slowing down in growth, but body starts to fill out some and put on more girth.

I would say the numbers in the middle of the range I've provided are probably closer to an average. Low numbers being slow growers, and large numbers being the fast growers. But they will grow through out their lives, slowing down as they mature. I have an 8 1/2 yr Colombian that is 8 ft. +/-

Some Central American locales are born smaller, grow at a slower rate, and may only top out at 6 ft. or smaller. I have a 2 yr old Honduran that is smaller than my 1 yr old Colombians.

Some blood lines are known for reaching monster proportions as well. My mom owned a 13 ft Colombian female when I was younger.

So as you can see, there is more to it than just being a BCI. Hope that proves helpful.

Rick

Old 08-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
breakdown
Thanks Rick. Your always a good guy to talk to when it comes boas.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Any time. That's what these places are for.

Rick

Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
OrganicBoas
I'm not disputing Croc, but I wanted to add that probably one of the biggest factor is how much you feed her. Especially in the first couple years.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicBoas
I'm not disputing Croc, but I wanted to add that probably one of the biggest factor is how much you feed her. Especially in the first couple years.
No doubt feeding does, or CAN, play a big role in growth rates.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
breakdown
I feed her a small adult rat once a week for three weeks then I give a week off.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!