1 question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
lilkeezy
1 question

how many of yall own green anacondas here in usa i know they legal but have many owns one or wants one i been wanted to get a green anaconda but my mom would never let one of them things in her house

Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
droogievesch
I know of somebody who has one, but they are getting rid of it. They are definitely not beginning snakes and not something that a beginning hobbyist consider.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
lilkeezy
i done my reseach and know pretty much to know bout male green anacondas and im fairly good with big snakes been handleing big snakes since i was 10 burmese for example

Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
droogievesch
I guess I pegged you for being 13 by your lack of grammatical skills. It wasn't until I looked at your profile and learned you were an adult that I was shocked. Anacondas are a lot different than burms both in size and temperment. There is a lot to look into when considering getting one. For example, many apartments would not allow you to rent with such a large constrictor, many cities have bans on them, and if you own your own home many insurance agencies will drop home owners insurance if they find out you have one, so make sure you do more research than how to house/feed/handle it.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
lilkeezy
oh my spelling skills? my bad im always typeing in chat rooms and spell differently but other then that atlanta doesnt has no ban against any snakes that arent deadly so anacondas are legal to have but i wont get one i know anacondas do have bad temperment and honestly isent that bad when u handle them and tamed them when they first young then they shouldnt be that bad to have as a pet male green anacondas useally gets around 8 to 12 feet 16 atleast ha my burmese going to be much bigger then 16 feet

Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Not spelling so much as improper use...

"atlanta doesnt has no ban against" ....2 negatives make a positive. "doesn't has" Your statement literally says Atlanta DOES have a ban. Maybe you're thinking the "doesn't has NO", puts it back to a positive? LOL
Just messing with you, but it is rather hard to read it and grasp what you're saying.

But more importantly, who says Condas are not deadly? They have been observed actively stalking humans along streams and water ways in the wild. I also would not put too much faith in the size ref you have given. Condas are very capable of reaching sizes larger than your burm, male or female.

Even more important than all that...I may be misinterpreting your post's, but they give the impression you want a Conda because of their size. Wrong reason to own a large Boid IMHO.

But since I suspect you will get one anyway, My advice to you is simple. Do Not handle large boids (10 ft +) without a back up handler close by. A 10 ft Conda is more snake than you think, if it wants to act up. Always exceptions though, some seem baby tame. Maybe you'll end up with one of those ones.

My 2¢
Rick

Old 08-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Metachrosis
Why not just buy TWO ?
You have it all figured out then,so regardless what the Law or others say you'll do what you wanna do

M/

Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
lilkeezy
i ment atlanta does not have a banned against any non poison snakes and no i will not have a conda but i might consider retic but that wont be consider till 10 years from now

Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from Condas, or any other large Boid. Just letting you know. They're great animals, but I see too many that are given up at about 2-3 yrs of age, because "I wasn't expecting it to get so big and strong so fast" Just make sure you are well researched, and prepared for it.

Retics are one of the smartest boids on the planet BTW. If you end up with one, make sure you learn all you can about them. Them guys are WAY intelligent. If there is ANY weakness in your handling skills, they'll find it an exploit it to their liking. LOL
I had a couple back in the day, and realized by age 4 they were WAY to much for my experience at the time. It wasn't easy to place them in a home either, because back then, (1988-89) retics were nasty, and quite a force to be reckoned with.

Do your homework, that's all I'm saying.

Rick

Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
lilkeezy
i feel what you saying and keeping large snakes is something to think long and hard about and im going to do alot more reseach on them maybe find out best i can on here which is one of the reason why i join this board and other then i love seeing pictures of everybody snakes but like i said it wont be consider till 10 years from now couse i got my burmese and my ball and course im going to get married in between the 10 years from now and i dont think the wife going to let me get any type of snakes by then lol i known her for 2 years now longest relationship i ever had with a woman

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!