question about thermometer with humidity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
boagirl26
Question question about thermometer with humidity

hi i read in a forum wasnt sure if it was in this one or reptile insider about temp and humidity someone said they use a acurite digital thermometer with humidity i had bought a couple to put in my enclosures to keep up mostly with humidity question is where would i put the thermometer and where would i stick the sensor would i stick the sensor in the middle of the enclosure thanks for taking the time to help

Old 09-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
monkeywrench133
If you've got one with a remote probe, I'd place it on the side of the cage, about an inch above the substrate. That's where the boa will be, so that's where you want to measure temps. If you've got one of the self contained ones, I'd put it a few inches farther up just so the boa doesn't play with it too much.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
boagirl26
its battery operated and the sensor is like a probe right now she is having shed problems and needed to maintain the humdity the enclosure i have is still yet to big for her so i have her in a sweater box in the enclosure was thinking of putting the console on the cool side and the probe on the warm side would that work

Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
monkeywrench133
If you mean inside the sweater box, then yes, that should work just fine.

If she's having shed problems you could also make a humid hide for her. Just take a small plastic container, loosely fill it with sphagnum moss, let it sit filled with water overnight, then drain the fluid out, but don't wring the moss out. Then just cut a "snake sized" hole in the lid and let her go in and out to suit her.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Yes, the readout goes on the cool side, and the probe goes on the hot side. The probe will measure the "out" temps (hot spot), and the unit itself will measure the ambients, and relative humidity.

I tape my probes directly to the hot spot. I disregard what it says until I have the surface temps where I want them according to a temp gun. Than I note what the "out" temp says, and keep it there by adjusting the thermostat. This works great if you are using belly heat. It tells you what the absolute hottest part of the cage is.

I use them in every set up, and put 2 in the larger enclosures.

Hope that helps
Rick

Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
boagirl26
thanks all for the replies in her enclosure she does have belly heat and panel heat but is in a sweater box as mentioned above the heating not to worried about its the humdity wanting this poor girl to shed this is her second atempt to shed with no luck got her right now in a box with some water to soak her for a bit hoping that helps but again thank you all for ur help and replies i will keep u posted to when she sheds with a pic of her not looking like a wrinkled old lady at the moment lol

Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
You could make her a humid hide. Just a tub with a hole big enough for her to get into, and fill it with moist peat moss, or similar substance. The darker it is, the more enticing.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
boagirl26
where would i get some peat moss we really dont have a large pet store around where i live a few small ones but one close enough dont think carries any also im sure im being a bother lol try not to but trying to get my girl happy again the tub that i would use for the hide just put a hole in it and turn it over with the moss on the bottom of the enclosure or the other way around where the moss is in the tub

Old 09-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Either or. If you want the moss contained, than use a tub with a lid, and make the hole in the side. If you don't mind the mess, make a pile, and use an over turned tub. A plastic planter, or planter bottom, turned upside down works well too.

Not sure about the moss to be honest. I don't use it myself, and never had to buy any. I imagine any number of reptile supply sites would carry it though.

Is your boa drinking? You should mark the bowl when problems like this occur, fill to the mark, and check it daily for consumption.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
boagirl26
yes she is drinking you have been really helpful thanks for taking the time i will try those things and will be sure to post her when she has shed thanks again

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!