This is Really a Shame! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #41
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman

If you go back to this post and edit it and you don't leave a reason, It will show now.
I just tried. Post #39 No go
*Edit*
Can you hear me now?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #42
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Personally, about the ad... I dont see anything wrong with it either.

Ive kept them like that * although i did have two hides most times, sometimes only one* and really... theres nothing wrong with it. If the Ball is eating, shedding defecating regularly, whats the problem?

People whine and complain half logs arent good, they dont make the snake feel safe. i happen to disagree and look at it as one of those passing fads that many seem to enjoy jumping on the bandwagon with. But yet, ive successfully kept ball pythons and others with those half logs, and NEVER had a problem! Go figure... and hey, all my snakes still eat! ( save breeding time then some just refuse!)

People whine about how people keep snakes in plastic boxes, saying its inadequate, but experience says otherwise ( i didnt think id ever use them either, actually). I know that setup AND my current rack setup DO work though.

and you had something about noodles written there two seconds ago?
The half-log wasn't an issue and neither was the substate. What I was seeing was a "heat lamp" above...but no accurate way to monitor temps and humdity. Since they are giving it away and the picture is not clear enough for me to determine whether or not it is actually healthy, I was seeing a possible R.I case waiting to happen and that's a shame.

p.s. I wasn't thinking about the GUY at all. Just the snake.

The Noodles comment could have been taken the wrong way, so to make my life easier..I do love to avoid unnecessary confrontations....I erased it.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #43
shrap
Quote:
People whine and complain half logs arent good, they dont make the snake feel safe. i happen to disagree and look at it as one of those passing fads that many seem to enjoy jumping on the bandwagon with.
Right here!! I am one of the whiners! I hate them with a passion for use with most burrow dwelling reptiles. You give a Ball the choice between an equal sized half log and a 95% enclosed plastic hide and they will choose the 95% enclosed plastic hide 99% of the time. Observing that repeated behavior tells me all I need to know about which type of hide they feel more secure in.

Quote:
But yet, ive successfully kept ball pythons and others with those half logs, and NEVER had a problem! Go figure... and hey, all my snakes still eat! ( save breeding time then some just refuse!)
Sure. Half logs are not inadequate, just not the better choice for most Balls in my opinion. And I base that opinion based purely on the behaviors I have personally observed as noted above.

For many reptile species though half logs are probably better suited than 95% enclosed hides. It ultimately comes down the species and very often the individual animal inside that species.

Quote:
People whine about how people keep snakes in plastic boxes, saying its inadequate, but experience says otherwise ( i didnt think id ever use them either, actually). I know that setup AND my current rack setup DO work though.
I used to keep all of my adult female Balls in 321 Boaphile cages. That is 3' wide, 2' deep and 1 foot high. I ended up selling 8 of the 9 Boaphiles because none of my girls would eat regularly in them. Put them back in a CB-70 (33"x17"x6") rack and right back on feed they go. They plain did not like being in the bigger enclosure after being used to being in a rack system.

Ball Pythons, they spend 80% of their life living in burrows. Eating the rodents or other small mammals that were in that particular burrow before they got there, sticking around in that particular burrow to digest its former inhabitants, then moving on to the next burrow under stealth of night. And when you think about it, what is a rack? It is more or less one big burrow. .... that comes with heating, cooling, water dish, maid and room service.

One thing I find truly neat is how even with a rack system many Balls have very particular individual behaviors. Like some of my snakes do not need any hides in the rack to feel secure. They never use them even when they are offered. Some need one on the hot side. Some need one on the cool side and some need hides on both the hot and cool sides.

Oh dear... I am starting to ramble.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #44
mvite
The bad part about being me is that I can agree with you and disagree with you at the same time!

I don't mind that you forcefully fed your snake.

and--

I don't mind if someone on Craig's List is a doofus.

No offense! But screw that guy----or take his BP if it's a female.

The rehoming fee is what I wonder about.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #45
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvite
The rehoming fee is what I wonder about.
Is that like U-Haul Rental?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #46
mvite
LOL--I believe it's .19 per mile for the distance that the snake travels from its current home to its new one!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #47
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap

Oh dear... I am starting to ramble.

OOOOH one of those WHINERS!!!! BWAHAHA! Its all good sammy. i dont have anything against the people, but im just not one that knocks something i used to use myself. I still dont mind them, and i think they are alright. ( i use plastic hides myself now, because they are easier to clean! and look good!, But i still have a half log or two kicking around in some tubs )

I have snakes that absolutely, will not use their hides. dosnt matter where it is, the substrate is far nicer to them than a hide. I have some that are picky in the same way yours are, and i agree. It is entirely up to the species at hand, and the individual animal.

my point was, and this is to you deb, Not everyone keeps snakes the same way. And there isnt any ONE right way! So long as they have heat, that helps them properly digest their food, and are overall healthy and doing well... By all means, house them in a way that provides what they need to continue on the right track. Be it a tub, or a glass enclosure.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #48
deborahbroadus
Quote:
OOOOH one of those WHINERS!!!! BWAHAHA! Its all good sammy. i dont have anything against the people, but im just not one that knocks something i used to use myself. I still dont mind them, and i think they are alright. ( i use plastic hides myself now, because they are easier to clean! and look good!, But i still have a half log or two kicking around in some tubs )

I have snakes that absolutely, will not use their hides. dosnt matter where it is, the substrate is far nicer to them than a hide. I have some that are picky in the same way yours are, and i agree. It is entirely up to the species at hand, and the individual animal.

my point was, and this is to you deb, Not everyone keeps snakes the same way. And there isnt any ONE right way! So long as they have heat, that helps them properly digest their food, and are overall healthy and doing well... By all means, house them in a way that provides what they need to continue on the right track. Be it a tub, or a glass enclosure.
Drat! I am at work, and don't have time to type carefully thought out responses..but thanks for your input.

I don't care about the housing, I have kept mine in Glass tanks when I first started out...(back in the days).

I was concerned because the heat is not regulated and not monitored. How do we know it has enough heat or too much? How do we know the wattage of that "light"? How do we know it's eating? We know nothing but what's in the picture and that's what I am going by.

You are welcome to your opinion.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #49
shrap
Quote:
Not everyone keeps snakes the same way. And there isnt any ONE right way!
Preach on Sister!! Preach on!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #50
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus
I was concerned because the heat is not regulated and not monitored. How do we know it has enough heat or too much? How do we know the wattage of that "light"? How do we know it's eating?
I am going to take a flyer on this one and say, "contact the person in the ad and ask them these questions".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!