This is Really a Shame! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #51
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman

If you go back to this post and edit it and you don't leave a reason, It will show now.
Yep~ it did~ Thanks Dennis. I really hated the idea that it wouldn't leave a note~ but if it's a time limit thing I can see the reasoning for that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus
How do we know it has enough heat or too much? How do we know the wattage of that "light"? How do we know it's eating? We know nothing but what's in the picture and that's what I am going by.

You are welcome to your opinion.
I think thats my point you just made. Not knowing the answers to those questions~ how do you jump to posting that persons ad on a reptile related site and calling it shamefull? How do you know if it is shameful or not?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #52
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Yep~ it did~ Thanks Dennis. I really hated the idea that it wouldn't leave a note~ but if it's a time limit thing I can see the reasoning for that. Thanks!

I think thats my point you just made. Not knowing the answers to those questions~ how do you jump to posting that persons ad on a reptile related site and calling it shamefull? How do you know if it is shameful or not?

from what I can SEE. Isn't it common knowlege that BPs need a certain range of temp to thrive? Do you see that there? Isn't it common knowledge that temps that aren't in the accepted ranges can lead to an R.I?

That's why I though it was a shame that the BP had to be in that environment.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #53
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Okay.
I think you were bored and thought others would agree with you so the anonymous poster on Craigslist with the not absolutely perfect set up gave you the excuse you were looking for rag on someone and relieve your boredom. But...............

We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I've been bored too. Apparently I am today~ as I'm spending considerably more time online than I usually allow myself!

No harm~ No Foul~ have a good day Deb and everyone else!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #54
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Okay.
I think you were bored and thought others would agree with you so the anonymous poster on Craigslist with the not absolutely perfect set up gave you the excuse you were looking for rag on someone and relieve your boredom. But...............

We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I've been bored too. Apparently I am today~ as I'm spending considerably more time online than I usually allow myself!

No harm~ No Foul~ have a good day Deb and everyone else!
What I HATE:

Someone putting words in my mouth or motives to my actions.

I posted the picture because I could and I had an opinion on it. Nothing more or less.

But you right about one thing..it's a slow day and I am bored and I have access to a dictionary!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #55
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus
I was concerned because the heat is not regulated and not monitored. How do we know it has enough heat or too much? How do we know the wattage of that "light"? How do we know it's eating? We know nothing but what's in the picture and that's what I am going by.
Not trying to be a smart ass in any way here, but maybe sharing some info you may not realize.

Back in my beginnings there were no dimmers, thermostats, digital thermometers, UTHs, etc, etc. I basically had three tools to get the environment right. A clamp lamp, a mercury thermometer and what little info I could find at the local library about the animal itself and the weather patterns of the area in which the animal came from. That was it. That was all that most of us had in the old days. And we made it work.

Granted the tools/equipment/knowledge made available to us today makes it all much easier to accomplish, but that dont mean they are absolutely needed. Well, the knowledge part is real helpful.

For example: That set up you were mentioning.... all you need is a thermometer or temp gun to measure the basking area where the lamp is shining down. If the temps are too hot you move the lamp further away, if they are too cool then you move the lamp closer. If you have to move the lamp so close that it could come into contact with the animal, then you would want to move to a higher wattage bulb so you can move the lamp further back. Its not brain surgery and you surely dont have to have dimmers or thermostats to accomplish proper temps.

It was all trial and error back then and countless people got these critters to thrive even with the limited resources that were at our disposal back then.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #56
SPJ
This is a shame. Here is a scanned photo showing we can all make mistakes and listen to bad advice. Cage carpet. No hide. Daylight heat lamp left on 24/7. Amazing the snake did so well.

I listened to the petstore when I first setup a boa cage about 15 years ago.
I did not know any better back then and listened to what I was told.
Probably the same situation this guy on Craigslist ran into. Didn't know any better and listened to what the petstore told him on the setup.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #57
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what was shamefull about the craigslist ad. Am I not seeing the same ad that was originally posted? The ad I'm seeing shows a nice looking young BP (a yearling I imagine). It doesn't have shed stuck all over it~ it doesn't look under weight or abused. It's on mulch~ with a hide, heat lamp, aquarium and screened lid. Maybe not everything a snake would like to have but certainly enough to keep it as a pet. I'd like to see a thermometer or reostat on there and maybe another hide~ but thats the only thing I see missing~ and if he's had the snake for a year and it's still a nice looking BP without shed stuck all over it he must be getting something right.

Whats shamefull about that ad?

Thanks Cheryl.. I been thinking that, but didnt wanna get into the drama. LOL

that is how I used to have my snakes set up when I first started.. and they are all happy, healthy and alive today..

Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #58
mvite
Girl fight!!!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #59
Miss Tuniwha
and when I got started. I didn't know about specific humidity, and perfect temps..

I have never had a ball with UR... BOAS, yes.. balls.. never.. I honestly was.. and am.. not sure how easily they get it.. so if someone could actually tell me that would be helpful.. cuz I have had a few URI with my boas over the years. I admit it.

for.. I think the first 4 years I had my balls (giggles) I had no temp guage, humidity etc.. i was just told hot on one end.. dark at night..

I had no computer access, no car, and no local library.. so... .. kinda didnt do any research..

yes.. heat lamps.. and half log.. and mulch.. the snakes never refused a meal, rarely had a bad shed, and are.. as I said.. great to this day, and have now even had cute little babies of their own..

I guess it does bother me to see so quickly a judgment be made upon someone you know nothing about. You can have the opinion, the worry about the snake and so on..

but I guess to me.. if you CARE.. you would contact the owner.. ASK.. see if there is a reason.. maybe offer some knowledge that MAYBE he didn't know..

To me that seems the more responsible reaction. You care about someone else's snake enough to b*tch about it, but have you offered any help/knowledge to the person? if you have, good.. but so far I have read nothing about this persons reasoning for the care.. instead you try dragging a stranger thru the mud..

just.. feels.. a bit Trollish honestly.. knowing it would start.. well.. what it has started..

just MY opinion though

Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #60
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Not trying to be a smart ass in any way here, but maybe sharing some info you may not realize.

Back in my beginnings there were no dimmers, thermostats, digital thermometers, UTHs, etc, etc. I basically had three tools to get the environment right. A clamp lamp, a mercury thermometer and what little info I could find at the local library about the animal itself and the weather patterns of the area in which the animal came from. That was it. That was all that most of us had in the old days. And we made it work.

Granted the tools/equipment/knowledge made available to us today makes it all much easier to accomplish, but that dont mean they are absolutely needed. Well, the knowledge part is real helpful.

For example: That set up you were mentioning.... all you need is a thermometer or temp gun to measure the basking area where the lamp is shining down. If the temps are too hot you move the lamp further away, if they are too cool then you move the lamp closer. If you have to move the lamp so close that it could come into contact with the animal, then you would want to move to a higher wattage bulb so you can move the lamp further back. Its not brain surgery and you surely dont have to have dimmers or thermostats to accomplish proper temps.

It was all trial and error back then and countless people got these critters to thrive even with the limited resources that were at our disposal back then.

You have given out too much karma in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I totally agree. Hopefully the owner has a temp gun and everything is as you surmise.

This is actually the kind of discussion such a picture should have caused..not a condemnation for having an opinion on the set up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!