Disgusting pet shop... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
AK907
Angry Disgusting pet shop...

There is a local pet shop a few towns over and it is the most disgusting place I've ever seen. I don't know how they are allowed to run a business like this. The only reason we went there was because I was able to have the owner order some african soft furs really, really cheap (as in wholesale, she made no money on the deal). I wouldn't buy anything that had been on her actual shelf. I pay the extra at Pet Supplies Plus or wait til I go to the expos. We went in a week or so ago and there was a dead anole in a water dish. Told them people. Came back this week and guess what, the anole is still in the bowl, only half liquefied. There were dead animals all over the place. Crispy frogs that had been dead for who knows how long, dead anoles and geckos all over, there was even a baby corn snake being eaten by a tarantula because the piece of plexiglass they used to divide the aquarium wasn't secured in place. Trash was everywhere. Piled in corners, on the shelves and behind the counter it was so bad that it was almost as high as the counter itself. It had just been trampled down over the years enough to make a little walk way. I felt like I was watching an episode of "Hoarders". The animals themselves that were alive are in HORRIBLE condition and lots where left out on the shelves in the deli cups they were shipped in, probably days ago! Every cage was overgrown with mold, old sheds, feces, greenish brown water, etc. Complain all yall want about PetCo or Pet(no so)Smart, but at least they usually try to keep thier animals presentable, even if they aren't kept under ideal conditions.

I snapped a few candid pics with my cell, but I wasn't able to get many because the owner was usually following us around. These are FAR from the worst parts of her store, they are just the pictures I was able to get on the sly.

Pair of ball pythons having really bad sheds and doesn't that water look thirst quenching? Mmm! At least these two had some form of water. Most were out.

Awe, they cleaned up a corner just for us... Now we at least had a place to stand...

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Alex G
Ugh, how horrible. Are you going to call and report them?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
AK907
I am going to. There is no justification for the way this place is run. Its not fair to the animals who inhabit it. Thats just outright cruelty. The people who run it are actually very nice people, but it absolutely sickens me the way these animals are kept. Hell, hire my wife and I for a week. We will clean this place up and make it spotless! If they would commit to better care we would gladly come in and help teach them proper husbandry and give them our business.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Utta
Hmm. Looks like Reptile Depot.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
AK907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Hmm. Looks like Reptile Depot.
Never heard of them. Now I'll admit, and I don't think I'm alone here, our reptile room gets a little cluttered sometimes. Decorations left out, old lights set on a shelf, a few pieces of bedding that dropped on the floor cleaning that I can't be asked to vacuum up at 3:00am. But stuff does not grow in thier water dishes. I change them daily and give them a good cleaning once a week or so. Sheds are taken out immediately as well as poop. A quick check of temps and humidity levels and appropriate action taken for each one. Its not that hard. I maybe spend 5 minutes a day keeping things presentable and we have a far larger collection than this pet shop. I take care of the reptiles while my wife cares for her pet rats. Gnah!

Its sad because they are such nice people personally, just lazy slobs who don't realize these are living creatures! Hopefully things will change soon after a few phone calls.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Heart4Dragonz
I can't stannnd pet shops like that. I've gotten into an argument with the co-owner of a privately owned pet shop here for improperly caring for their reptiles. They've since bought all new enclosures and learned bearded dragons need greens, not leopard geckos..

I hope you can get your trouble shop to change around also.
I feel so bad for the animals stuck there

Old 10-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
AK907
We were bored yesterday so we went in again to kill time. They have a good half a dozen baby ball pythons in one tank and I picked one up when the owner walked away. Thier skin was as loose as hound dogs and they were literally flat when they layed in your hands. Not even a 1/4 inch thick laterally compressed when they should have been as big around as my big toe! I was so tempted just to fill my pockets up with baby snakes. Very tempted, law be damned. I doubt they would notice anyways if any went missing.

African Gray. If only you could see all the feces in his cage. That yellow stuff to the right is his water.

One of the few reptiles that had water. Crap filled water.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
AK907
BTW, who commented on my profile? PM me and I will shoot you thier info. I was basically told that they have the paperwork to run a business and to shove it somewhere I cannot mention in this forum.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
TailsWithScales
That's animal cruelty not running a business. I would be contacting the department of animal health and welfare, ASPAC, anyone who will help to shut that place down or at least fine them heavily. There are laws against that!

Personally (no flaming me) I would have stolen the snakes if there are no security cameras. Maybe one or two at a time. But enough to get a few out each time. Poor animals.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
AK907
^I've seriously thought about it. Worst comes to worst the punishment for petty theft is a slap on the wrist. Nothing has been done yet. No one I've talked to seems to give a crap because they have thier business license. Go figure... Gunna try the ASPCA as soon as I can get ahold of them, maybe they will know the proper way to go about helping them. Hell, PeTA or HSUS if I gotta, although I cannot stand those wackos.

We went in again today since we were in town. Last time we were there this corn was in shed and they had an african soft fur rat in her cage. Not the best time to feed. I guess it didn't eat it right away so they just left it in there. It chewed this female corn up bad! I asked the owner about it. She says the wounds will come out when she sheds in a few days. BULLCRAP!!! THIS SNAKE NEEDS A VET NOW!!! I didn't even bother arguing with the owner because she simply does not care. The ASPCA was already closed when we saw this, so I don't know what to do until I can get them on the horn. I hope they are open tomorrow. Can you imagine how painful this is to her? All those little pieces of crushed walnut shell and leftover feces digging into that open wound. Horrible!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!