Good to see nothing has changed... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
atlanticus
Good to see nothing has changed...

Jesus, I left the public pet trade hobby 9 years ago and all it takes is one look at the BOI to remember why. People lie, cheat, and steal. People pontificate and tout their experience to anyone who will listen. People scam, scheme, and forge. Everybody is a lawyer and a vet.

I gave up almost a decade ago after being taken for 5 grand for the last time. I received my degree in EBIO, and only bred for sale to zoological institutions and universities. I bounced around the tropics pursuing ecology interests and my other passion in life(irrelevant here). I made a choice a short while to get back into the public reptile trade in order to breed some species I used to, maybe help pay for a few projects of professional interest, and because I thought it would be fun again. It's good to see that nothing changes.

Let's be honest, reptiles have never drawn ONLY the finest of people, although I have met and still talk to several outstanding people in the public side. Its suspiciously biblical. I realize I am using a broad brush, and not everybody thinks they have all the answers, or intends from the beginning to steal from you. But watching people threaten others online, lie through their teeth, provide totally ignorant legal advice, and constantly remind people why they deserve a shiny medal for what they have contributed to the reptile industry, makes me slightly ill. An unwelcome reminder of why I stopped in the first place. I only hope this time is different. I guess all I can do, other than quit bitching, is only purchase animals from a few select people, make sure sales are as guarded as possible on my end, and generally avoid the pissing matches and slander that seem to infest this industry like a plague.

In my opinion this industry could use an influx of morality, humility, and honesty. I'm not suggesting you find Jesus or Buddha, although from the looks if it some people could use it. Just quit lying, cheating, stealing, and try and practice some freaking humility people. Instead of berating people who you think know less than you, try and see how you can help them. Instead of talking about things you know little to nothing about(i.e. the law), maybe try not saying anything at all. Examine your life and your future if you intend to steal from someone. Get help. Talk to a priest, or a shrink, or your mother. Don't threaten people online or through this or any other forum. It makes you look extremely weak. Either pursue legal action(after consulting a LAWYER) or simply state your experience with a specific person as calmly and logically as possible, and move on. I guess it all comes down to the Golden Rule.

I have no doubt that I will find some great new people this time around. I'll more than likely just spend some time doing criminal background checks and ignoring some of the "experts" out there. Done bitching.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
So somehow the reptile world is supposed to be different than ANY other group of people?

Check out a artist group, you'll see scamming lying and threats, people posting other people's work to claim they did it themselves.

Check out horse show folks. Back stabbing, gossiping, etc.

Car people? Same. Bowling leagues? Same. Church choirs? Same.

People are people, the world over. In any group, there will be the good, the great, the mediocre and then(usually) in the minority, the bad, the scammers and the predetors. The problem is that the bad are louder, and some folks would rather focus on the few bad than realize how many good guys there are.

When you look for bad, you expect to see bad... you'll find bad.

Fauna as a reptile community has shown awesome people. It's had situations where the entire community pulled together for a common cause or to help someone in serious need. It's a pity that you looked for the underhanded scammers instead of the good folks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!