One Who has No Beliefs and Why....... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:18 PM   #31
Darin Chappell
" . . . and you believe for the sake of believing without further proof or without proof at all."

Actually Glenn, though I agree with you that this is true for the vast majority of those who call themselves "religious," it is most certainly NOT true for me. I have a faith of reason, based upon evidences that I have found to be sustainable under the light of deep inspection. I hold no tenet or value in my faith unless there is an underlying reason as to why I should.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:15 PM   #32
Uffern
Quote:
Originally posted by SpindleHead
UFFERN,
I can't really tell if you are being sarcastic with your first statement in which you claim to have the only answer, if you are serious I would have to say that statement is a bit arrogant don't you think?
Sorry. I was being sarcastic. What I put in that post are, in my mind, the two simplest, best arguements for and against religion. The two contradict in a catch 22 fashion, and the point I was trying to make was that there are no answers, only speculations. I've seen the religious debate from several different points of view, and in the end, I didn't land on anyone's side. In my personal quest for truth, the only answer I have found is that there are no answers, and somehow, I'm satisfied with that, and that is what I believe in.

Old 04-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #33
cka
Interesting thread, as rational debates on faith and religion usually are...My problem with the organized religions of the world stems from the fact that somewhere along the each practioner of whatever belief (Christian, Muslim, Jew, etc...) is taught that they are right, everyone else is wrong, and by being right heaven (or salvation) is theirs and theirs alone...Every religious text in existence has been transcribed from the writings and words of Men throughout history, and being imperfect men, as Man is Not (a) God) everything recorded is open to the opinions, belief's, prejudices of whatever writer worked on said transcription of whatever text he was transcribing...Wish I had some of the eloquence y'all have, it has been a well written thread up until I hacked at it (sorry lol)...JMHO the world boils down to this....There are good people, and there are bad people, and everyone will get what they deserve in the long run....Everything comes full circle, and everything moves in a circular motion, beginning and ending at once and not at all...;*)...peace folks...C. (druidic practitioner who probably read too deeply into the "Shanara" series) K. (almost 8 year old lamb of Christ) A. (lapsed United Methodist who hopes God understands :*)

Old 04-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #34
SpindleHead
Richard,
I should have guessed as much, sarcasm is hard to detect in text! I appreciate your views and your polite response.
I've never been accused of being the sharpest Knife in the drawer.LOL

Chris

Old 04-28-2004, 09:17 PM   #35
Mercer Don
Ok, here is something for all you to think about, believers and non-believers alike; Ancient Egyption artifacts, 3000-6000 proven years old, show alien like characters. Ancient Chinese relics dating near 8000 proven years old show the same alien images. Now, did humankind originate on some distant planet, that may or may not exist anymore, or did god plant these relics as well?

Old 04-28-2004, 09:48 PM   #36
Glenn Bartley
Who can say. Of course it could be that the ancients just had very similar ways of looking at things and portraying them at different times in their respective histories, much like convergent evolution. Of course this could also apply to religion If god created all that there is, and crerated man in his own image, then god may have had another self image at some other time and created aliens in that other self image. The possibilities are boundless except for the imagination or the proof. I am still waititing for the proof.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:18 PM   #37
dwedeking
If you look at the ancient religions you'll notice many simularities that they have in common both in appearances and in value systems, giving value to the theory of convergent evolution in the human thought process.

Religion fills a need in the human pysche for belonging, structure and control. The issue I have with religion is that it is frequently manipluated (and therefore used to manipulate the masses) by corrupt people that are not looking out for the betterment of their religion but rather their personal gain. Most religions require a belief based on faith (at some point you are required to believe without proof). Once you take that leap of faith one time it is much easier to build upon that and use it to make other more radical leaps of faith (ask any professional salesman, once you say "yes" to one question it is easier to get you to say "yes" to the sale itself). This is a fertile ground for manipulation.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:41 AM   #38
j tyler
Don,
Are you serious?

Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #39
Mercer Don
Serious? Yes, very. The proof is in the soil.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #40
j tyler
Don, I am starting to like you already. Please indicate what kind of proof is in the soil. Also, please go to the newest 'Sound off' topic; I would like your opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!