The Formation of Exclusive Cliques... - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #51
beakgeek
Since we're getting particular:

the last time I checked the following is considered a line:

Since we are trying to follow the rules in the literal sense, everyone has one more line in their signature than they think. If this is the case thennSeamus does in fact have 5 lines in his signature

"Genes, like Leibnitz's monads, have no windows; the higher properties of life are emergent... And once assembled, organisms have no windows." - Edward Wilson, Sociobiology
"Trust me, Randy knows what he's talking about." -Ian

Seamus, you know what to do....contact the Evil Love Bomber and report yourself ;-)

Terry Brashear
The unofficial cardinal to Pope Seamus I

Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 PM   #52
jenn_jeffery
Ahh, sorry about the link thing. I really thought it was for the entire site, since the reasoning was he doesn't want dead links everywhere...oops.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #53
robin d.
as i understand it the rules that apply on the boi apply to the entire site with exception of the full name rule

Old 08-26-2004, 10:09 AM   #54
Gary O
I believe the rule about the links came about because people were just posting a link to an add on KS. They would post a link then say look at this what is this person thinking. Or he this person goes again blah blah blah.

The person that owned the add would see this and would go delete his ad. Those Rich telling people not to post the links and that he would not allow them to. But instead post a screen shot. A link could be with a screen shot. but a link by itself would not be allowed.

Hence this being for the BOI.......................

Seamus is not as bad as some of you think. He has disagreed with me on things and has even told me in public. We talk about the situation and fix it.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #55
Gary O
I had a brain fart

ADD=AD lmao...............shoot me know.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #56
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamus Haley

Quote:
As per stated in the "rules for posting"

Posting external link - 1 point
This has been addressed in a thread somewhere. Basically I do not want links posted here to external URLs that could vanish when the source changes or ceases to exist. Cut and paste, or use a screen shot, please. Especially if you are using it as evidence of some sort. Once the source goes away, your link here is useless.

Found http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...=&threadid=8880
That's Rules for Posting on the BOI which this is not.
Actually that is not true. That particular rule applies to all forums on this site. It is targeted mainly for the BOI, but it also is relevant in other forums where people may be inclined to post links to such things as care sheets, examples, photographs, or anything else on another website that might be gone a year from now. One the source goes away, then the post referencing it becomes lame.

Even in the classifieds section, I am not all that keen on someone simply posting an ad that says "Check out my price list HERE", and has a link to their site.

So in essence, it is a common sense courtesy thing. I find dead links to be aggravating, so I would like to take steps to eliminate them on my site, since other people are probably aggravated by them as well.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:08 PM   #57
Gary O
Well then I misunderstood what your rules said then. A point would not be given outside the BOI......That is how I read it.

Now what you said is kinda wierd to me, and sounds to me like you just don't want any other links posted here.......just another way around it. Dead links happen. This is the net. I am not attacking you Rich just giving my opinion........

So lets say a really good article is posted...lets say on.......Tanith's site. I think a link is needed to show credit. That is MHO. Not just "this was done by Tanith". A link should be givin to show where it came from.

I can totally understand the calssified ad thing. Where someone is trying to prove something a screen shot should be taken because the other person can delete their own add to hide. But just to articles care sheets. I think it is rude to not put a link up from where you get the care sheet from. I would never do that to someone. 100% credit should be govin to the author and the site.

I just think a link to things like this should be allowed. Dead links happen. But I would not stop someone from giving credit to the site the info is coming from with a link to the site..............

Like I said not attacking you just letting you here another side to it..............

Old 08-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #58
jenn_jeffery
Gary, what I tend to do, and have seen others do, is copy and paste or screenshot of the article/ad I have read and want others too see. I then provide a link to this, so people have the option of seeing it for themselves, if the link is still viable...

Old 08-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #59
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Actually that is not true. That particular rule applies to all forums on this site.
So how does that apply to say... The New Or Updated Website forum? Or discussion forums when it isn't appropriate to copy the entire contents of a website, but the website best answers someone's question or is appropriate to the topic?

I also (obviously) misunderstood the application of that rule and thought that it applied only to the BOI, where posting a link to an ad or a pricelist became meaningless if the page was edited. Applying it to discussion forums may result in some tedious copying and pasting and screenshot uploading if I ever want to send someone to a website for information rather than typing it out.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #60
robin d.
Seamus,
i think you might just be the festering thorn in the ass of our beloved webslave.... poor guy.... i feel for ya rich for having to put up with him day after day

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!