Heat wave - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Lucille
Heat wave

In the 100s this weekend, 103 forecast for Monday. Other Texas friends reporting up to 107. I'm staying inside in the AC.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
WebSlave
It's actually not been too bad here in north Florida the last few days. Might get up to around 90, but a storm will brush nearby and drop the temps down to the low 80s. Of course, the humidity caused by the light showers we will get each day makes up for the moderate temperatures. Got some new flowers blooming, but I know darn right well that my camera lens will fog over immediately when I take it outside.

I'm kind of surprised that the mosquitoes haven't taken over. And with the yellow flies gone, I might even get to working up some incentive to work outside again clearing all the brush and vines I cut down a few months ago and is now growing like crazy.

But yeah, during those real hot summer days, you sure do feel thankful for the invention of refrigeration, dehumidification, and air conditioning.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
WebSlave
Heck, we just had a storm front move through and it is only 76 degrees out right now. Go figure....

Old 07-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
WebSlave
Aargh... today is a different story. 91 degrees on the thermometer, but supposedly FEELS like 118 degrees. Humidity has dropped to a very parched 84 percent. Oops, just ratcheted up to 85 percent humidity and FEELS like 120 degrees.

I might not be doing the stuff I planned yesterday on doing today.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Lucille
You had to boast about your 76 degrees, you just know after saying that something had to happen (and it did)

Old 07-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
WebSlave
It certainly wasn't boasting at all. I was astonished. That is highly unusual for around here.

And yeah, I got my comeuppance, too.

My thermometer is now saying that it FEELS like 124 degrees outside.

Connie and I took a little walk to look at the citrus trees, but bailed out quickly. The sunlight seems to just sizzle the skin.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Lucille
I've only been out briefly to walk the dog. You know what's crazy, I saw some guy out there jogging. He had the little chest strap heart monitor and running shorts and he looked like he was soaking in sweat. I'm all for good health and exercise but it seems foolhardy to run around in the heat like that.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
WebSlave
Yeah, my plans for today had been to either work in the garage topping off the AC refrigerant in one of the vehicles, or else breaking out the hedge trimmer to tackle the underbrush that is growing back.

I chose to do neither. Instead going through some old videos I took and processing them to put on YouTube.

The weather radar is showing some storms moving down from the northwest towards us, so that might cool things down a bit. At the expense of adding more moisture to the air, of course.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I'm all for good health and exercise but it seems foolhardy to run around in the heat like that.
Yes, this I do not get. We see tourists playing tennis etc in the noon-day sun all the time, and I always expect to see paramedics standing by. Runners who live here do it at 5 am to avoid the heat.

Just saw the Australian news reporting that the UK is also in the grip of a heatwave, and everyone is moaning and groaning about it being over 90oF. Of course the Australians,
who regularly get similar temperatures similar to those you are experiencing (over 100oF) think this is very funny, but the UK is just not built for temperatures over 80 (actually anything over 75oF is something of a surprise).

Old 07-31-2018, 02:36 AM   #10
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Got some new flowers blooming, but I know darn right well that my camera lens will fog over immediately when I take it outside.
I figured out what to do about this for my usage and problems related to a fogged lens when rapidly moving from indoors to outdoors. I keep my camera on one of my incubator shelves in the 80s. No more trouble when I need to immediately take outdoor photos in high humidity combined with high heat. You might find a similar solution. They have smaller electric food warmers and things of that nature. Could keep gear stowed in one of those or something that works similarly. Or an enclosed box on a seedling heat mat. Or.... More about the principle than the technology selected.

It was a real PITA to miss fleeting shots of rapid-moving native creatures or to miss breeding events between animals of special lineages that I wanted to document so as to supply adequate evidence of said events to interested parties, so it one day dawned on me to proceed as described above. It has saved me much in the way of frustration.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!