For Sale Poppy- northern redbelly cooter morph - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 03-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #21
dhct301
I don't post much because of this reason defently not a morph good day and I won't mention agaon

Old 03-31-2016, 02:10 AM   #22
MargeeD

Poppy with a normal rubriventris. same age, same food, same pond, same exposure to sunlight. about 3 years old here.
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 AM   #23
nickolasanastasiou
Excellent comparison shot for prospective buyers, Margaret. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:24 AM   #24
MargeeD
altered markings on skin is the biggest indicator of morphs. poppy is hypomelanistic. that means she lacks black pigment. take away the melanine, and your find out what's underneath. in poppys case, a whole lot of red chromatophores, as well as some yellow and blue mixed together to make green. these pigments are probably present in normal rubriventris, but you can't see them because they are covered by black melanine. when you look at poppy and egg's patterning, you are seeing juvenile patterning. they still have the same patterns as new born hatchlings because the melanine never developed to cover it up as it does in normal turtles.
as for them being hybrids, I doubt it. firstly they are both a bit undersized, typical of morphs, but not hybrids. secondly they have the distinctly low carapace of the rubriventris, and have markings appropriate to juveniles of that species. further, hybrids with any of the other cooters or sliders would NOT produce hypomelanistic animals, especially MATURE hybrids of two species that darken with age will become dark with age. Also when you compare the two of them, Poppy and Egg, their markings are a perfect match. Egg has slightly more melanine that poppy, but other than that, they are clearly the same creatures
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #25
dhct301
It helps to have correct lighting. From the original pics looked pretty normal. Those pics are night and day with correct lighting. Please forgive my mistake.. glad you clarified pics

Old 04-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #26
95se5384
Later today i will post some pics of some florida red bellies that will blow your mind.. Two males that we believe are "hypo", and have 5 three year old "het" females that are about 7 inches or so now. The one pictured is a WC normal that was bred to our "hypos".
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #27
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95se5384 View Post
Later today i will post some pics of some florida red bellies that will blow your mind.. Two males that we believe are "hypo", and have 5 three year old "het" females that are about 7 inches or so now.
Post them in a discussion section if so and not this person's ad. Thanks, Stephen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!