For Sale Adult North American wood turtles - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #21
chelidman
North American wood turtles are protected in every state where they are known to naturally occur. That does not eliminate the unlikely possibility that there are unprotected relic populations on the margins of their known range. That said, the turtles pictured in the ad does give the appearance of any immaculate captive raised specimen.
Blanding's turtles are protected in all but one state where they occur. I am not going to say which state that is however, and I would sincerely hope that anyone else who knows will keep it to themselves as well for the sake of the turtles.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #22
marke1
Out of the states I know of where they’re found , Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota , there are only two where they are not listed as special concern ,vulnerable , threatened , or endangered ……both of those states protect them in that they can only be collected with a scientific collection permit ……… the population in Nebraska is probably larger than all the other states combined , and they are designated tier 1 , the only way to collect them is with a scientific collection permit , there are requirements for those permits in both states that require record keeping , and make it illegal to collect them for personal use or sell them …….. I’d think the number of pre protection animals in the hobby as far as wood turtles and blanding’s is dwarfed by the numbers of poached ones ….. some of the most perfectly beautiful turtles I’ve ever seen were wild collected ……

Old 11-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #23
Mighty J
If indeed nine Woods were recently poached, be certain then that population is now functionally wiped out.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #24
chelidman
Quote:
Originally Posted by marke1 View Post
Out of the states I know of where they’re found ……
Your list is not comprehensive. But congratulations, by listing all the states that you did, you went a long way toward specifically giving anyone with bad intentions a strong indication of what state doesn't protect them!

Quote:
I’d think the number of pre protection animals in the hobby as far as wood turtles and blanding’s is dwarfed by the numbers of poached ones …..
Pure speculation on your part. Both species were readily available, typically for under $100/ea, pre-protection. I personally have receipts for both going back to the mid-90s. And they are very durable species that breed readily under suitable conditions. Are there poached animals out there? Of course. But there are also plenty of legit ones out there too.

Quote:
some of the most perfectly beautiful turtles I’ve ever seen were wild collected ……
It would be highly unusual to see a wild-caught turtle with a single-season growth band as wide as the turtle pictured in this ad has.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #25
Mark M
"It would be highly unusual to see a wild-caught turtle with a single-season growth band as wide as the turtle pictured in this ad has."

Chelid, forgive me but this means?.......

Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #26
Apeltes
The most recent growth band is indeed wide compared to the older ones. Looks like a period of slow, steady growth followed by a sudden acceleration. That’s consistent with several scenarios.

Seller hasn’t said they are captive bred, has he? If I recall, he said something about being angry at the people asking questions.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!