Accidental find in Riverside - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
lovin2act
Accidental find in Riverside

A friend of mine was at a shooting range in Riverside, (he is a detective) and found this little guy in the parking lot about to be destroyed by someone. He managed to scoop him up and get him out of there thankfully. He texted me about it and I told him to bring him to me the next morning at church so I could get some photo's, but I had no idea he was bringing him from Riverside unfortunately. We are about an hour from there where we live. He is clearly a newborn I would think as he cant even make noise with his tail yet, and is maybe only 10-12 inches long. This pic is right after I had given him a nice little meal, for hospitality sake

I will say that this little guy acts like he was captive bred, totally mellow, does not attempt to strike or show aggression in any way at all for the most part. I am not gonna test that with my hands though haha! But his attitude when I go in with the hook is quite chill, he just jumps right on and moves about with me on the hooks. We took a video of him last night when we offered a live hopper mouse (we plan to release him, didn't want to spoil him with f/t, not sure if it would but why risk it) and he acted like we were not even there, just started eating right away with us hovering over him with the lights on him. Dang if only all of my pet snakes acted this way! Sheesh!
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
lovin2act
After some research it looks like this is his exact ID:

Crotalus mitchellii pyrrhus - Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake

http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...m.pyrrhus.html

Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
LauraB
Aw, that's a cute little one! Glad your friend was able to grant the stay of execution

Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
D'awww, he's so cute with his little button tail!
It's interesting too, I've never actually seen that neat-looking species around before... Well thanks to you and your friend's actions, there's one more to stick around now! He's a lucky lil' guy!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
lovin2act
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Aw, that's a cute little one! Glad your friend was able to grant the stay of execution
He totally is! Yeah he almost seems grateful the way he is so relaxed and content when I interact with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Just Curious~ View Post
D'awww, he's so cute with his little button tail!
It's interesting too, I've never actually seen that neat-looking species around before... Well thanks to you and your friend's actions, there's one more to stick around now! He's a lucky lil' guy!
He is seriously even more gorgeous in person! I have not ever seen one around here like this either nor was I aware of this particular type of rattler being native to the area!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
lovin2act
Here is a vid I took on my phone of him taking a meal the other night.

It's long in the middle, skip from about 1:50 through 2:45. At around 2:49 he yawns and then goes in for the grub time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9hrr0ec2o

*Disclaimer, this video is of a live feeding. It was not created for the pleasure of seeing an animal be killed.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
~Just Curious~
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin2act View Post
He is seriously even more gorgeous in person! I have not ever seen one around here like this either nor was I aware of this particular type of rattler being native to the area!
Speckleds of any kind have always been one of my favorites, but I never knew we had them around here either.
So then I guess he's not the only lucky one here, it's a wonderful find!

He does seem pretty happy in that video, didn't seem to care about you guys being there at all. Lil' piggy! Love that yawn too!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
LauraB
Nope, don't test him with your hands.
He didn't show much hesitation striking that mouse, lol
And it's one, two, three strikes you're mine ...

Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
lovin2act
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Just Curious~ View Post
Speckleds of any kind have always been one of my favorites, but I never knew we had them around here either.
So then I guess he's not the only lucky one here, it's a wonderful find!

He does seem pretty happy in that video, didn't seem to care about you guys being there at all. Lil' piggy! Love that yawn too!
Quickly just became one of my favorites now too. And I am so glad he got saved rather than stomped by some ay-holio.

The yawn was totally awesome for sure!

Yeah he really seems like he is content as a...I dunno....as something that's very content ha!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
lovin2act
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Nope, don't test him with your hands.
He didn't show much hesitation striking that mouse, lol
And it's one, two, three strikes you're mine ...

Ha! Yeah there will be no taste testing of hands for this little death bringer!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!