rot x pit - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
robin d.
LOL thats why we do not have dogs with tails lmao... they dont wag their tails they wiggle their butts

Old 04-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #12
reptilemama
I know 'm going to sounds preachy and maybe even a little bitchy here, so I apologize in advance. There are *tons* of just that type of mix in shelters all over the country. Yes, they can be great dogs, but with a mix, there's no way of predicting what traits the puppies will end up with, and they'll probably end up looking like every other large breed mix out there. Instead of creating more mixed breed dogs, why not rescue one from the shelter? As for breeding in general, if you're going to do it, do it right- use purebred, registered, champion dogs with no history of inheritable disease. It's *very* expensive to breed if you want to insure that you are creating healthy puppies. It's hard on the dogs, physically, and can be deadly for the female and the pups if there are complications. I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but I have personally seen the result of irresponsible breeding and it's not pretty. A 6 month old dog who has to be euthanized because of severe hip displaysia is not what you want to produce. If you're just looking for a dog and asking about these mixes, I apologize- I do tend to jump the gun when this issue comes up. Yes, I think any mixed breed dog can be a wonderful dog, but they can also have just as many issues as a purebred, if the parents are not carefully selected and screened for genetic issues.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:55 PM   #13
hediki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerofdoom
if you did not see this thread, http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=67113 i showed off my little crosses
that looks so kool i like the pit/doberman, it looks like a german. and i luv the rot/lab.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:59 AM   #14
Pug
I have a large female Rot X Greyhound X Chow. The vet thinks she is part Greyhound due to her aerobics and ability to turn in-the-air and we know she is a Chow because her tongue is purple (and we doubt she's part Shar-Pei). She's very sweet with humans, but is a little dog agressive with our other 2 mixes; a male G. Ret X Chow (huge and friendly tail wagger) and a female Samoyed X Chow (friendly outdoor lover). All 3 are from our local pound where there seems to be a huge influx of Chow based mixes.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #15
old guy
My .02 cents worth as a breeder of rots and

several pet store owner of past that sold dogs. When you want. keep, acquire a mix breed dog you are propelling the problem of breeds and mix mutts > because that is what cross breeding and mixing breeds are termed as. You are also promoting the breeding and or sales of such and there is a reason that some people do this ( now is it time for you all to give me flack and or " DOG " > " FLAME " ? ). One reason is LAWS of township, city and insurance. A lot of cities have bans on rots and more on pits as insurance companies are not allowing ownership as well. But yes, the mixes if not known what mix by insurance companies and townships are exempt for that very reason unless a problem arises and it is prove to be of mix with pit, rot and even our hybrid wolf gangs. Read my words on the problem with these dogs and flame me as much as you want>>>>>>>>>.the breeds themselves of rotties and pit are of being unpredictable no matter what. While my rots were yes, very protective of my children and close family, they were aggressive as they are SUPPOSE to be with non-family and several nips happened on non-family people. I don't care how " tame " or how loving your dog/mix of these breeds are, they still posses the genes to be aggressive and or unpredictable and by non-linage breeding just farther comps the problem. While I agree that all dogs came from one or 2 species, the line breeding of linage can be somewhat predicted in behavior but still with problems if one was to really search what and why these specific breeds was bred for and the history of the same. While I LOVED our rotties, I saw potential problems in anything as lawsuits and bans and non-coverage by insurance companies. I'm open for any debates on this............

Old 10-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #16
sirenofthestorm
I have had rotts and dobermans in the past, and now I currently own a husky rott? shepard? mix. The rott and GSD are debateable, I think doberman is just as likely. She's 53 lbs at 9 and a half months, hyper and outgoing, and all legs.

Here she is at 8 weeks

Here she is at 8 months

She is much more of a training challenge than my previous purebred dogs,
and my friend's purebred pitts that I kept for a while when they were puppies
and he wasn't able to keep with him.

I love purebreds as much as mutts, and really I don't think there is going
to be a severe behavioral disparity between the two, just due to one being
purebred and one being a mutt. What matters is that the parents are bred
for the right reasons, the dog gets socialized and trained correctly. There
are more bites from golden retrievers than from 'dangerous' breeds just due
to bad breeders, bad owners, and other mitigating circumstances.

Pitts, Amstaffs, Dobs, Rotties, and Chows can all be loving, social, and
obedient animals if they have responsible breeders and owners.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #17
Cat_72
I agree with some of what you said Mike. But if you have a dog that comes from generations of very selective breeding, using only dogs with stable temperaments, you lower the "unpredictable" factor greatly. Most QUALITY Rott breeders will tell you, there is a HUGE difference between being PROTECTIVE and AGGRESSIVE. The goal of most reputable breeders is to produce an animal that is protective without being aggressive. An animal that bites people without a GOOD reason, family or non family, is a liability....and/or very poorly trained. A good "guard dog" can tell the difference between a threat and just someone new.

Pitbulls were originally bred to NOT be human-aggressive, they were bred to be dog-aggressive. A real "quality" fighting Pit (I know, that's an oxymoron) would NOT bite a human, they had to be accept their handler and the other dogs' handlers in the ring with them. It is idiots today that have bred and trained the human-aggressiveness into Pit Bulls.

And many of these town who have "breed bans" include not only Rotts, Pit Bulls, GSD, but any mix therof, or anything that THEY THINK LOOKS like it could be a mix thereof. If your dog even resembles any of these breeds, i.e. Boxer/boxermix, or even terrier type mixes.....you are in danger of these banning fools telling you it has to go.

I totally agree with your statemnt about mixing breeds purposely not being a good idea, however....not only are you asking for unstable temperaments, you are possibly bringing new health problems into breeds that currently have low incidence of problems in....i.e. mixing Golden Retrievers and standard poodles....people know that hip dysplasia is fairly common in Goldens, but almost unheard of in Poodles.

There are soooooo many mutt puppies in shelters dying every single day.....why bring more into the world?

Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #18
sirenofthestorm
My mix is a result of a husky thatdidn't get spayed and got mated by an unknown male dog. She was part of an unwanted litter, and that's why I got her, because if someone didn't, she'd probably end up on the street or put down. I am going to get her spayed next month hopefully so that nothing similar happens to her. Spaying and neutering pets is so important, just keeping a dog in a yard is no guarantee that it won't breed.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #19
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I totally agree with your statemnt about mixing breeds purposely not being a good idea, however....not only are you asking for unstable temperaments, you are possibly bringing new health problems into breeds that currently have low incidence of problems in....i.e. mixing Golden Retrievers and standard poodles....people know that hip dysplasia is fairly common in Goldens, but almost unheard of in Poodles.
In dogs the "mixing" of "breeds" is how other breeds are produced.
The breed factor has nothing to do with producing congenital defects. Line breeding is what develops defects, what perpetuates them and what makes them pervasive within a breed. Very few individuals within a breed have the genetics that make them suitable to produce offspring. Any dog with any heritable defect is unsuitable for breeding. No exceptions.

BTW, in Australian Cattle Dogs, the tails are docked when the dogs are used to work pigs. This is because pigs, unlike cattle and sheep, bite back. For the most part docked tails are a "fashion" choice. My ACD has his full tail.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #20
South Dixie Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by hediki
has any 1 ever mixed a rot x pit or rot x geman sheperd, or pit x german, or all 3.
why on earth would you want to?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!