Radiant heat panels - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
robert7107
Radiant heat panels

Not finding much info on radiant heat panels.
I see their mounted on cage ceiling on one side of the cage..
So where is the probe placed an how is the ambient temperature controled ?
Looking at a 4+2+2 cage..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old 09-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
bcr229
There are several ways to regulate an RHP. I prefer to mount the RHP on the enclosure ceiling and then drill a small hole in the back or side of the enclosure near the top on the side with the RHP.

Insert the thermostat probe and enough wire through the hole so the probe hangs along the wall about halfway between the floor and ceiling. Set the temperature of the t-stat in the mid-80's and then after it's been running a while use a temperature gun or IR point thermometer to measure the surface temperature under the RHP. Adjust the thermostat up or down as needed until the floor of the enclosure is at the hot spot temperature you need.

I usually tie a knot or put a stopper on the probe wire just outside the enclosure so the snake can't drag it further into the enclosure as a safety measure, though it's not likely the snake will mess with it.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
robert7107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
There are several ways to regulate an RHP. I prefer to mount the RHP on the enclosure ceiling and then drill a small hole in the back or side of the enclosure near the top on the side with the RHP.

Insert the thermostat probe and enough wire through the hole so the probe hangs along the wall about halfway between the floor and ceiling. Set the temperature of the t-stat in the mid-80's and then after it's been running a while use a temperature gun or IR point thermometer to measure the surface temperature under the RHP. Adjust the thermostat up or down as needed until the floor of the enclosure is at the hot spot temperature you need.

I usually tie a knot or put a stopper on the probe wire just outside the enclosure so the snake can't drag it further into the enclosure as a safety measure, though it's not likely the snake will mess with it.
Ok.
As for ambient temperature? Im thinking with it that way as you decribed an such a small encloser the cool side should still be in the mid 70's..
Looking to put a super dwarf retic in it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old 09-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Donald C
I tend to use rheostats/dimmers with my RHPs. Prior to putting an animal inside the enclosure, I hook the RHP to the dimmer at ~50% and leave it for a few hours. I then check the hot spot with a temp gun and adjust the dimmer up or down based on the reading. Rinse and repeat until it's where you want it.

I then give the cage at least 24 hours to fully settle. After that, one last temperature check and then put the animal in.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
elena
I use RHPs for my adult boa constrictors, which are in 4x2 enclosures, and they are mounted under the tank. I agree that a thermostat should be used and the cage should be given 24 hrs and then rechecked with a temp gun before any animals are added.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
Ok.
As for ambient temperature? Im thinking with it that way as you decribed an such a small encloser the cool side should still be in the mid 70's..
Looking to put a super dwarf retic in it.
Ambient in my snake room is 82*F in the summer, 78*F in the winter. One of the side effects of having the chest freezer for feeders in that room is the exhaust keeps the room warmer than the rest of the house.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!