Feeder Chicks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

View Poll Results: Would you Buy feeder chicks?
Yes 9 45.00%
No 3 15.00%
Rather feed mice 5 25.00%
They are inferior to mice. 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2003, 07:50 AM   #1
Wormman
Question Feeder Chicks

Does anyone buy feeder chicks? Who do you use and who is the best? If this should go in the BOI also let me know. I am looking for the best feeder chick company. Are they better than mice? Is there a market?
Ken Chiarella

Old 01-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
dwedeking
Talking

Isn't buying them illegal? I mean yes, in a round about way (dinner and drinks etc) you pay for them but I don't think you can just go out and buy them (at least in California). Personally I prefer blondes, but as long as she knows which animals get which food I'm all for feeder chicks

Sorry, long week and I need a break

Old 01-30-2003, 10:21 PM   #3
hanoverherps
Right onnnnn...

Dan-- you took the words right out of my mouth! Could'nt have said it better myself! My wife probably wouldn't like it though, women, they just don't get it....

Bob

Old 01-31-2003, 05:50 AM   #4
Wormman
I had no idea. I am going to clean out my freezer now before I get raided! Anybody need a couple frozen blondes, three red heads, and a brunette? Overnight shipping might be a little high, and I will need some massive blocks of dry ice. I will trade you for a chipper, or cement mixer.
Ken Chiarella

Old 01-31-2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Wormman
By the way the first post should have said frozen chicks.

Old 01-31-2003, 01:45 PM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Men and their games!

Y'all crack me up. Feeder chicks huh? Right then.

As far as the intended topic (I don't need to buy any chicks, studs now......hhhhmmmmmm, nevermind their easy to get for free and most of them are RATS anyway!)

Right then.....Really, I think mice or Rats would be easier as you can breed them yourself in a small area. If your buying them or have the space to keep chickens, I guess price would make the difference. If the chicks are cheaper, go for it, but mice or rats are easier to find and pretty cheap to buy frozen.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:19 AM   #7
Glenn Bartley
I like to feed mice to my snakes, and I save eating the chicks for me!

Whoops did I really type that.......

I have fed chicks to my Gopher Snakes before, they would also eat store bought chicken eggs, and seemed to prefer them cold in the summer. They realy loved an chick evry now and then - I only bought a few and would get them at a live poultry market. Pretty cheap. I think you can get em from large scale snake food suppliers.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:06 AM   #8
meretseger
What I've heard is that feeder chicks, if they're day-old chicks, don't have a lot of nutrtion, sort of like pinkie mice. I also remember something about their being high in fat due to the yolk sac. This is info I got while volunteering at a nature center where they fed the chicks to raptors. I got sick of the smell pretty quick, but the birds were very messy eaters and liked to leave the intestines on the ground. The first time I tried to hold a turkey vulture, he got agitated (they're very smart and he knew I was new) and hacked up a chick skull at me. :Puke:
That's all I have to say about that.

Erin B.

P.S. they also fed the raptors mice, thus not making them hypocrites in regard to the above statement. I think they used the chicks mostly because they got them for free from this Amish farm that didn't need all the extra males. Maybe someone should look into it.
That's all I have to say about that.

Old 02-04-2003, 01:52 AM   #9
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
There is a chicken farm here that donates chicks to one of the local nature centers I do occasional programs for. All they have to do is pick them up, and they get all they want. Of course the chicks are mainly used to feed their raptors, and not their snakes.

As far as selling or buying them on the internet, most of the large frozen feeder companies carry them. However, they tend to be higher in price than rats or mice of comparable sizes.

Old 02-06-2003, 12:01 AM   #10
Clay Davenport
I've never fed chicks to anything. The only reason I would really consider doing so is if that was what was required to get the snake to feed. So far I haven't had this problem.

Everything I've ever read mentions chicken resulting in foul (fowl? ) smelling feces. Something I'm just not itching to deal with.
I also see the possible risk of changing the dietary preference of the snake. If the snake eats rodents with no problems, I'm not going to start trying to expand his tastes. Some people have thought it was fun to feed a young rabbit to their ball python for Easter, only to discover that the snake afterwards held out for bunny.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!