Bad Guy Ripped off from Nick Lang & Company - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
quinnbozek
Ripped off from Nick Lang & Company

Hopefully someone might be able to help out there but if not I would hope to prevent a similar type of situation, that happened to me a couple of weeks ago, from happening to someone else. My son purchased a couple of captive bred Eastern Box Turtles from someone identifying himself as Nick Lang (nicklang538@yahoo.com). My son was requested to send payment via paypal to his email address and when the weather got warmer he would send the turtles up to us-but payment was needed to secure the turtles in the meantime. Long story short, payment was accepted on behalf of two other individuals -Frank Salvador (flowmaster12@yahoo.com) and Martez Powell (monitors78@yahoo.com) but the turtles NEVER came and the money transaction was not able to be cancelled because it was too late to do so. It was just a little more complicated than that but, in essence, that is what happened. And after repeated attempts at emailing all three of these individuals,for some type of response, we have had no luck. Yes, in hindsight, something did seem a little suspicious but hindsight is 20/20. All that being said I am just looking for any possible information someone might have on these three guys or is there any hard luck advice to be given in regards?
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnbozek View Post
Hopefully someone might be able to help out
Quote:
It was just a little more complicated than that
The devil is in the details. It only takes a few minutes more to present the entire transaction, complications and all, and perhaps with more info, you may get more helpful suggestions.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
leftycrane
If you used a credit card via paypal just contact your cc company and file a chareback

Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
The devil is in the details. It only takes a few minutes more to present the entire transaction, complications and all, and perhaps with more info, you may get more helpful suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycrane View Post
If you used a credit card via paypal just contact your cc company and file a chareback
Correct on both accounts. Do a charge back and lets see some other details. Where did you find the ad? Did you get a phone number? Etc, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Snake-Queen
I had this info waiting for you to repost.

This is the only thing I could find on any of the names and emails you listed.

flowmaster12@yahoo.com
Comes up with this profile on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001198202627

James Morgan
location, Minnisota

Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
SoCalAce
I have been waiting for someone to start a thread on this guy! I have not done any business with him, but I saw several people complaining about him, so I decided to send an email to nicklang538@yahoo.com. I acted as if I were interested in a tegu that I heard he was trying to sell. I checked his email source IP addresses and it puts him on the west coast. He told the person I got his email from that he was from Colorado, he told me he was from Pine Key, Florida (which is a pretty ridiculous place if you look at it on a map). I told him I had a friend close enough to drive and pick the animal up for me, and he said he was going to be at a Repticon in Utah (which was not happening that weekend to my knowledge). He gave me multiple paypal addresses to send money as well (constantly requesting to send as a friend). In the end when I confronted him about the non-existent reptile show and why his locations didn't add up, I stopped getting replies. I will share my emails and the IP addresses I collected when I get home to my computer.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
quinnbozek
A few more details. . .

Thank you so much for that information. You got a lot further than I have, so far, in trying to get somewhere with this. In our situation he communicated, via email, with our son that he was from Florida also.
Here is a quick synopsis of what happened:
FEB. 14 -ad was found in FaunaClassifieds (for cb eastern box turtle w/ pictures) posted by Nick Lang(nicklang538@yahoo.com). Purchase was made through paypal and Nick stated he would accept the $ and hold the turtle until warmer weather. Assured us in 'good faith' this was legit.
FEB. 15 -Nick emailed us saying he would return the $ because it should be transferred to Frank Salvador (flowmaster12@yahoo.com) instead. Money was returned and we transferred it to this account.
FEB. 16 -Nick emailed again and said the $ would be returned and instead transferred to Martez Powell (monitors78@yahoo.com). We did this also.
FEB. 18 -We emailed Nick to inform him that the weather would be satisfactory enough to send the turtle to us.
And now, up to this point, and a number of emails to all three addresses -we have not heard back from anyone. Very frustrating but a lesson learned the hard way. I'm even more pissed off though because my 10 year old son had saved up for a couple months just so he could get his first box turtle (I have three already) and it unfortunately had to end up this way.

Again, thank you and the others who commented with your thoughts, suggestions, and information. And I hope others will read this too and learn to be just a bit more careful in regards. I sure will.

Tom

Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
Robert Walker
Quote:
FEB. 14 -ad was found in FaunaClassifieds (for cb eastern box turtle w/ pictures) posted by Nick Lang(nicklang538@yahoo.com).
Can you find this ad still and place a link to it here please?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
angie.h
Hi Quinn....I hate to read about a child getting ripped off for something that they had saved for. I don't have any help for finding anything about this guy, but I did want to mention that there is a reptile expo held regularly in Wheaton Il. that you might check out to possibly locate a turtle for your son. In case you've never heard of it it's Scott Smith's all animal expo. You might check the vendor list + see what they have.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
SoCalAce
What I gathered...

His emails came from IP addresses:

I don't know as much as others do about the IP addresses, so I'm not sure how closely we can triangulate his position with that info, but perhaps he can be tracked easier at least.

I attached my interactions with him. Some of my lines are fabricated to get more information. Suspecting that he was pure scammer, I offered to send M.O. which would require him to give me an address, I offered to have a friend meet him, which of course he would not (because he would be in Utah at the "Repticon auction"). I left the quick view of emails and only expanded ones that did not fit otherwise. Honestly I never saw any ads myself, I just took a shot in the dark with the Tegu thing because I heard he was using someone else's image to sell one in a Tegu group (I tried to invite them here to share their stories as well). FYI: I did not actually send any money. There was no response to my final email, not that it warranted one.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!