First time for everything........I guess - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
First time for everything........I guess

Some of you may know i kept various ssp of N.A. Crotalid from 1980 to 1995 before i just gave them up figuring my luck was bound to run out eventually. Since then, I have had a few ssp overwinter with me when I am called to remove them from porches etc.

In all my years, I have seen some amazing strikes aimed at me from some of these guys. I've seen long strikes, blindingly fast strikes, strikes coming 180° around, even seen a couple guys launch themselves when they have a good purchase.

I have a neo C. Atrox in my care for the last couple months. Another winter resident. LOL He just gave me a NEW experience that goes to fortify my decision to quit keeping hots on a regular basis.

I have hooked many rattlers in my time, but never had a snake launch his self off the hook.................Until yesterday!

I was hooking the little guy to tub him for a cage cleaning, and notorious as he is for striking, (I named him Spaz) he is still just a full foot in length, so i used my small hook.
Anyway, as I am hooking him into the tub, he strikes, and LAUNCHED himself off the hook and landed right on my foot!

Needless to say, this was pretty much a rush for me. I have never had one successfully launch off a hook before. Really just BLEW ME AWAY! All i could think of was "envenomated AGAIN!"

Nope, i got lucky and was able to flick him off with no harm to myself or him. But the rush lasted a little while. LOL

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I for one have never had one come off a hook like that EVER. I am still amazed at the distance this little guy got.

Any similar experiences you would like to share, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for looking
Rick

Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Scott Ashton
Rick:

You're a braver man than I.

Sounds like this is an animal Vinny Drago would have some fun with.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
NO NO NO You had to bring Vinny in didn't you. HA HA HA ha

Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
NO NO NO You had to bring Vinny in didn't you. HA HA HA ha
I just couldn't resist.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
hhmoore
Rick - you may remember me mentioning that there is nothing that acts quite like a pi$$ed off rattlesnake on a hook...you just experienced part of the reason, lol. I used hooks exclusively while I kept hots - I simply don't care for tongs (at least not the ones I have tried). Some snakes were "runners", some like hooking a wet towel; and then there were the jumpers. I double hooked my rattlesnakes, at least the ones that were big enough get two hooks on, and found that that helped reduced their ability to launch themselves. With the little guy, just make sure you're dressed appropriately and use the longer hook to maintain some distance (so he doesn't land on you again)

Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Tim Cole
Most of

my atrox will fly off the hooks. I expect it and always have tongs handy.

Let's NOT bring Vinny into this!

Old 01-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
I don't like tongs either. Don't know why, I just know I don't like them. LOL
I was wearing boots and all, not like I was barefooted. But to be honest, I sure wasn't expecting that! I should have been though. After all, I call him Spaz for a reason.

You can bet I'll be better prepared next time though. I think I'll remember this for a while. Good thing My dad wasn't around to see it. He's never agreed with me keeping hots anyway. Of course, if he had his way, I wouldn't have ANY snakes.

Tim, "flying off the hook" as in striking? or flighty? Just curious. Though i've had them keeping there eye on me and ready to strike, and occasionaly striking, I never had one strike hard enough to launch like that off a hook. New one for me anyway.

Rick

Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Ya know, it's a shame, but everywhere i go, they have heard of Vinny. What makes it bad, is it's never in a good way. Wonder why that is? LOL

Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
Tim Cole
Now that you

mentioned it. Flighty and rarely striking from the hook. That happens as the cage lid is opening!

Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
Rattlesnake
How far did he launch himself?
How far did the others launch themselves?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!