Alligator Snapping Turtle Basking? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Quay77
Alligator Snapping Turtle Basking?

Hey there. Just a question. The two alligator snapping turtles I got from you. At least once a day or every other day I find that they are getting out of the water and up onto a fake tree I have in the tank. I've never had one actually get out of the water and bask. They are both eating well. I have a heater set for 82 degrees in the water. And it comes on automatically any time it goes below that temp. I have a canister filter that is used for up to 55 gallon tanks but I only have a 40 gallon tank that's filled up a inch or two higher than half way. I have two air stones in the water. The tank does have a divider in the middle and I have 4 common snappers in the tank on the other side. Three of which some one else will be taking in the coming months. They are known to bask but have yet to see any of them bask. The alligator snappers usually hang from the divider and catch fish. I have only seen one actually eat turtle pellets.

Any ways can you think of any reason why they would get out of the water and bask. BTW this is the first time I have kept Ally's and not had a sand bottom. I have a pebble bottom in the tank. Also I do have a piece of drift wood in the tank for them. But it has long since sank to the bottom of the tank.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
acutirostris1313
young (hatchlings to a few years old) Ally snappers will bask occasionally. they may be trying to escape, as common with all turtles, and if that's the case their's nothing to worry about. I had many bask and nothing came out of it. I bet your turtle(s) are just trying to explore their environment.

Mark

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!