Venomous Snake Mentoring - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Venomous Snakes

Notices

Old 08-31-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
TGBBP7208
Venomous Snake Mentoring

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone would be willing to mentor me for Venomous Snakes, I would like to get into the hobby sometime and when I get in I want to to be somewhat experienced. I am looking for possible mentors that would be in the Todd County area and Surrounding counties.

Thanks for reading this,
Hayden
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #2
SikkiNixx
I'm no where near there, but kudos to you for seeking one out. Too many people today see it on YouTube, then think they know what they're doing. Kudos for doing it right 👏.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
TGBBP7208
Also I do feel like saying this, I am 14 years old. But if someone doesn't want to mentor me, I would understand since I am 14. But I have checked my states laws and minors can legally own Venomous with a Conditional Use Permit (I believe that is the permit I would need).
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #4
SikkiNixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGBBP7208 View Post
Also I do feel like saying this, I am 14 years old. But if someone doesn't want to mentor me, I would understand since I am 14. But I have checked my states laws and minors can legally own Venomous with a Conditional Use Permit (I believe that is the permit I would need).

That might make it a bit more difficult, but don't give up. I'll say this much, you've got even more of my respect now. Most 14 year olds these days don't think that responsibly, let alone act on it!
If you lived near me, I'd teach you, you probably wouldn't go hands on fire the first couple years anyways. But sine I do have so much respect for what your doing, I'll teach you the best I can from here. Kinda give you a head start while you seek, and hopefully complete your apprenticeship.

Get yourself some feisty colubrids to practice with. Things like indigo snakes, cribos, a lot of Asian rat snakes (do your research). You could also go with things like Amazon tree boas or carpet pythons. Use tools, treat them like they're hot. Maybe after a couple years experience with those you move up to some rear fang colubrids like the false water coves, mangrove snakes, or some of the other boiga family. By the time you get a year or so hands on with them you will most likely found and completed an apprenticeship ( as long as you keep trying, and demonstrating good practices somebody will eventually take you under their wing.) Just keep trying, and don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. There could be keepers watching this thread to see how serious and dedicated you are. People don't like to take irresponsible people in because it puts their whole collection at risk. So keep doing what your doing, and get some hooks and practice snakes. Get hands on practice SAFELY while you look. I'm completely self taught, but I had 35 years of hands on experience with all kinds of other snakes before I ever even tried to handle a Venomous animal. But I definitely recommend you stick to your plan of finding a mentor. It's a lot faster than 35 years.

Stay safe, stay responsible, and never give up. I promise you one thing, you have more of my respect than any other 14 year old in this country at the moment. Let that mean something to you!

Old 09-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #5
TGBBP7208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikkiNixx View Post
That might make it a bit more difficult, but don't give up. I'll say this much, you've got even more of my respect now. Most 14 year olds these days don't think that responsibly, let alone act on it!
If you lived near me, I'd teach you, you probably wouldn't go hands on fire the first couple years anyways. But sine I do have so much respect for what your doing, I'll teach you the best I can from here. Kinda give you a head start while you seek, and hopefully complete your apprenticeship.

Get yourself some feisty colubrids to practice with. Things like indigo snakes, cribos, a lot of Asian rat snakes (do your research). You could also go with things like Amazon tree boas or carpet pythons. Use tools, treat them like they're hot. Maybe after a couple years experience with those you move up to some rear fang colubrids like the false water coves, mangrove snakes, or some of the other boiga family. By the time you get a year or so hands on with them you will most likely found and completed an apprenticeship ( as long as you keep trying, and demonstrating good practices somebody will eventually take you under their wing.) Just keep trying, and don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. There could be keepers watching this thread to see how serious and dedicated you are. People don't like to take irresponsible people in because it puts their whole collection at risk. So keep doing what your doing, and get some hooks and practice snakes. Get hands on practice SAFELY while you look. I'm completely self taught, but I had 35 years of hands on experience with all kinds of other snakes before I ever even tried to handle a Venomous animal. But I definitely recommend you stick to your plan of finding a mentor. It's a lot faster than 35 years.

Stay safe, stay responsible, and never give up. I promise you one thing, you have more of my respect than any other 14 year old in this country at the moment. Let that mean something to you!
I do already own one of the species that you have listed, which is the Carpet Python. The carpet python was actually one of my first snakes. I will try to obtain one of those snakes you have listed for me, most likely a Cribo, Mangrove, Blue Beauty Rat Snake (I believe these guys can be pretty feisty), possibly other feisty snakes. But more than likely I'll get another carpet, I love them anyways.
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #6
SikkiNixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGBBP7208 View Post
I do already own one of the species that you have listed, which is the Carpet Python. The carpet python was actually one of my first snakes. I will try to obtain one of those snakes you have listed for me, most likely a Cribo, Mangrove, Blue Beauty Rat Snake (I believe these guys can be pretty feisty), possibly other feisty snakes. But more than likely I'll get another carpet, I love them anyways.

The big thing is learn to use your tools, and use them all the time. I use hooks on ball pythons, because I use my tools no matter what snake I'm handling. This way it's ingrained in my handling routine. If a snake cage is being opened I have a hook in my hand.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!