Desert Iguanas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
KayaM
Question Desert Iguanas

Hi All! I'm finally putting the finishing touches on my desert enclosure and was thinking about getting a couple desert iguanas for it. Have any of you had experience with them? Do you know a reputable breeder who raises them? From what little I could find they seem to have needs similar to beardies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
I have had limited experience with them at the LPS I used to work at. From what I have gathered, their care is more similar to Uromastyx. I say that in that they do not require much (if any) insect prey. Mostly herbivores these are (sorry, had a Yoda moment there!).

I am not aware of anyone who is actually breeding them, as they are still a relatively obscure species that makes their way in the market. That said, given proper care, wildcaught specimens usually acclimate well. Like I said, very similar to Uros: keep them hot (probably a 100-120'F basking area), keep them dry (very little water) and plenty of veggies.

Hopefully, someone will take up the reigns in attempting a captive breeding program for these guys, as they are a smallish species (14-16" avg) that don't require live prey (always a plus for those not wishing to deal with insects!).

Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
KayaM
Thanks for responding Michael! I'm hoping I can find someone that has CBs but it's beginning to look like I might have to get WC. Their size, when grown, will be perfect for the enclosure I built and what little I have found about them claim that they are very gentle - always a plus with my grand daughter! We have an Exotic Pets/Reptile show coming here to Tulsa the first week of Oct. so I'm going to check it out before I start hunting online. Who knows? Might find some there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!